Talk

Advanced search

recommend a dog please

(3 Posts)
ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 25-Oct-15 06:55:05

Our lovely elderly Bichon Frise died a month ago, she was a senior rescue aged 8 when we got her. Thoughts are now turning to rescuing another dog in the New Year (we are away for Christmas).We cant have a puppy as after a few weeks settling in period it would have to be left. Our circumstances are medium size terrace property with medium sized concrete fully enclosed back yard. 5 min walk to lovely big beach for long walks. 2 kids aged 5 and 8 who are used to dogs of all sizes. A cat who mostly keeps her distance from dogs but used to purposely entice our Bichon to chase her. Dog would be left (don't shoot me) 4hrs a day during week DH Leaves house at 9 am I walk in at 1pm. Short walk in morning long walk in afternoon. We would like a bigger dog (maybe lab size). Any ideas? I know with rescues it's more down to the individual dog but trying to narrow it down a bit. Is there some dogs you would say are more/less likely to fit the above? Thanks.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sun 25-Oct-15 08:11:32

I think it really is about going along to a rescue centre and having a chat with them about the dogs they have. They are in the best position to know which individual dogs would suit your family best.

We got our's about a month ago. She is a collie/pointer cross and very calm, quiet, great with kids and cat but also very nervous. The best thing about the rescue group we got her from has been the follow up support in helping to settle her.

Good luck!

MuttonCadet Sun 25-Oct-15 08:18:30

Retired greyhound? Ours both retired at 3.5 years and are utterly adorable, they would spend the 4 hours fast asleep.
Don't require much walking (2/3 40 minute walks), and did I mention adorable? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now