Talk

Advanced search

Lab leaning on people?

(21 Posts)
CheerfulYank Sat 24-Oct-15 20:51:33

I have a six month old lab puppy who leans on everyone. What's the deal? If youre standing still he'll come along and push his backside into you and just, well, lean!

Does he just want attention or is he trying he be dominant or...what? He does it to the two year old and actually sits on her.

It's annoying. He is gorgeous though. Look! smile

daisydotandgertie Sat 24-Oct-15 20:53:28

It's affection.

CheerfulYank Sat 24-Oct-15 20:57:58

Thanks daisy. I'll keep that in mind. "I love you, so I will place my bottom upon you." grin

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 24-Oct-15 20:59:50

Gorgeous smile

daisydotandgertie Sat 24-Oct-15 21:02:39

They love physical touch. I have one on my lap like a baby. She's resting her head on my boobs and snoring. Contact. That's the need!

Bananasandchocolatecustard Sat 24-Oct-15 21:02:54

That's what labs do.

CheerfulYank Sat 24-Oct-15 21:03:17

Thanks Thick. smile I think he's a handsome pup. He's going to learn to hunt soon which will hopefully wear him out a bit!

daisydotandgertie Sat 24-Oct-15 21:04:01

Oh. And take advantage of his bond with you and train, train, train!

CheerfulYank Sat 24-Oct-15 21:04:13

Thanks Banana. I've never owned a full Lab before, lots of mixes though. A lot of things are new to me!

CheerfulYank Sat 24-Oct-15 21:05:50

He starts obedience classes in a week and is also going to do some hunting training at some point, Daisy. He is so clever; I think it will be really good for him. smile

HemanOrSheRa Sat 24-Oct-15 21:06:42

He is gorgeous! My little JRT does this. If we have visitors she grabs one of her toys and does a troop around the room with it. Showing everyone her toy and getting fussed. Then she will sit on the feet of 'The Chosen One' and sort of lean into them. It is very cute.

It's not quite so cute when we're on holiday in Cornwall. We'll be walking on the beach and she will wander up to random people (usually men confused) and sit on their feet when they are stood at the shoreline admiring the view!

Pennsatucky Sat 24-Oct-15 21:09:29

My nans big old lab used to sit next you and lean. When I was little she used to push me over when she did it to me I loved it!

Wolfiefan Sat 24-Oct-15 21:14:48

I met a Great Dane who did this earlier in the week. shock
It translated as I like you. Scratch me some more!
BTW you do know that dominance theory is very old thinking?

CheerfulYank Sat 24-Oct-15 21:20:55

Yes Wolfie. I didn't really mean it in that way (not a Caesar fan or anything like that!). More when he does it to the 2 year old, if he's trying to get her to do something or what.

laundryeverywhere Sat 24-Oct-15 21:26:59

My lab leans on people but side on with her shoulder. She loves people.

fieldfare Sat 24-Oct-15 21:30:51

My gsd does this too. If he's not allowed to full on cuddle on the sofa, he'll sit by your feet and lean on your legs with his head in your lap. Staring at you until you fuss him.
If it's cold out and he's asked to sit, he'll sit on my feet! Can't say I blame him tbh.

CheerfulYank Sat 24-Oct-15 21:38:12

It gets very cold here in the winter, I probably won't mind him on my feet then! smile

tomatodizzy Sat 24-Oct-15 22:21:58

He's lovely. My lab is the same. He's a year and has learnt a bit more about which family member can take Wyatt strength of lean and you can't sit on cats, no matter how good your fwendship is

Wolfiefan Sat 24-Oct-15 22:23:38

I get what you mean. Bossy as opposed to pack theory.
I love a dog that leans. A once met a wolfhound who did it. I nearly she's an actual year! blush well I was pg!

CheerfulYank Sun 25-Oct-15 00:29:42

Yes exactly Wolfie, just bossy. Tbf the 2 year old is quite bossy herself so it's pretty amusing. grin

That's funny Tomato! We don't have a cat but he soooo wants to play with my parents'. The cat is not agreeable to this though.

Sigh. He's just had a bath because DH took him to the nature park to run around with the children. Apparently there was a man there emptying the porta-potties and the dog just couldn't resist rolling around in the...drippings... hmm He did jump in the river after so the worst was gone.

ConfusedInBath Sun 25-Oct-15 11:48:24

My Spinone does this all the time, it's called the Spinone lean amongst owners.

One of my favourite things about him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now