Talk

Advanced search

Dogs and Pregnancy

(7 Posts)
TwllBach Thu 22-Oct-15 12:02:37

I have an 8 year old collie who isn't great on the lead. I walk her as often as possible off the lead but the places where we walk are accessed by stretches that have to be done by lead IYSWIM.

She has a sturdy harness but she still pulls like a tank and it is beginning to hurt me and distress me, especially when we are going down hills. I am imagining when I am bigger and my centre of gravity is off and her pulling me over.

She is generally a good dog and I have tried on and off over the years, different methods of stopping her pulling - turning around each time she pulls and walking the opposite direction, stopping every time she pulls and waiting till the lead goes slack - but it has never worked and I am beginning to dread leaving the house with her.

Anyone have any hints/tips/advice?

Rebeccaelizabethxo Thu 22-Oct-15 13:19:16

Have you tried a halti head collar ? I'm now 35 weeks and without it there is no way I could walk my gsd ! He still pulls from time to time, however he can't do it as successfully as before and to be honest I don't find it too straining and he is 33kg. We also do lots of heel work with tasty treats!

Floralnomad Thu 22-Oct-15 13:21:01

Get some one to one training sessions and stick with it . Have you tried a harness with a front lead attachment they work for some dogs ( didn't for mine) .

Galmptongirl Thu 22-Oct-15 14:43:38

The only time my dog stopped pulling was when trotting along side pushchair ! so there may be success shortly! he behaved perfectly for years when accompanying us but when me on my own went back to towing. Good luck.

TwllBach Thu 22-Oct-15 15:30:01

Floral would love some training sessions but just can't afford them sad

Rebecca I did try a halti a good five years ago and she scraped her face along the ground until her nose bled! She is a bit more sensible now though so maybe I should give it another try.

Galmpton I'll keep my fingers crossed grin I have already decided I need a substantial pushchair so it can withstand her pulling...

Shriek Thu 22-Oct-15 16:03:43

do it at home first and nail it there where you both will be safe would be my plan.

once you feel confident with the sessions at home (which will entail just simply standing still until she looks to you and awaits your direction and each time turn and go in your own direction expecting her to follow you/not the other way around smile )

You need to get to the point where you can see she is watching you, and doing the turning circles thing will only serve to get you giddy!

search the internet, but this lead pulling is one of the hardest bad habits to break as the dog cannot 'know' where its supposed to be and i hate that everyone simply gives negative feedback to the dog by yanking on its face/back/neck. Walkin the garden, lead on, or round the house if you have to.

stopping, and the moment your collie glances at you make a huge fuss/treat.

don't plan to walk outside the moment you step outside the door, don't expect to go far like you are at the moment, just continue what you 've done in the house /garden, out the front of the house, ordon't even get over the threshold if she's not paying attention to you.

She is taking you for a walk, and she is telling you where to go. It takes a lot of patience and hard work, but it is completely possible without causing damage to their necks etc, and you and your baby!

but you have to be committed, very! and patient.

Consistence, persistence and insistence.

Floralnomad Thu 22-Oct-15 19:14:19

If your finances can run to it try a canny collar ( less than £20) , they are generally better tolerated than a halti or other headcollar and are very effective .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now