Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pug underbite and insurance

(5 Posts)
cleowasmycat Mon 19-Oct-15 15:14:43

My pug has a slight underbite but we thought this was normal and have no concerns. However, we just made a claim to Petplan about an eye injury that was paid no problem and we have received a letter that says the vet has noted the underbite and this is now a pre existing condition that won't be covered. Also as he had a check of anal glands they won't cover any further issues. He's only two! Isn't an underbite normal??

tabulahrasa Mon 19-Oct-15 15:31:45

A slight underbite is normal for a pug and in the breed standard, but it's not normal for a dog, if that makes sense?

A slight underbite shouldn't ever need any treatment, but if it got worse (they do sometimes) or just did cause an issue - the fact that he was bred to have it and born with it wouldn't make it any less of a medical issue, so it is pre-existing.

Did you not get lifetime cover? Or is it a new policy?

cleowasmycat Mon 19-Oct-15 15:46:35

It is a new policy as we only had him a few months and it's for a lifetime plan with Petplan. Not much point if they won't cover those two things though surely?

tabulahrasa Mon 19-Oct-15 15:55:58

The gland check I'd contact them about, because if it was just a check and no treatment was needed that's not a condition.

But the underbite is because it is actually something that isn't usually there on dogs and can affect function.

VetNurse Wed 21-Oct-15 06:45:09

Pugs are prone to a lot of health problems so I wouldn't cancel your insurance just because they have excluded anal gland problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now