Talk

Advanced search

What to do; should I take her to the vet?

(10 Posts)
pigsDOfly Sun 18-Oct-15 13:41:04

Can't make up my mind whether or not to take my dog to see the vet.

She's four years old, small breed, and over the last few weeks she seems to be sleeping more during the day and is quite a bit quieter.

She's never been a big eater - often goes a day without eating - but recently she went right off her food - still happy to eat hard treats though, so not teeth. This isn't unusual with her and given that the food did actually smell different, very wheaty and boring, I concluded that it must have been changed in some way and tried her on something else, which she seemed to love for a few days. I don't change her food on a regular basis and did stick it out until she was virtually not eating.

She still seems happy and excited to go on her walks, still loving jumping and chasing her ball in the park, and gets excited when she meets people. However, when she's just walking on lead she will sometimes stop and sit down and seems to want to be carried, although she tends to do that more when we're on the way out rather than coming home when she will often rush along. So I wonder if she'd just being lazy at times. When we get home she will often scoot around the house, clearly happy to be home. She also seems to be reluctant to jump up onto my bed now, which is something she's always done in the past, although she still does from time to time. I've had a good feel of her legs and she doesn't seem to be in pain when I move them.

I'm annoyed with myself as she's recently had her routine jabs and I didn't mention it to the vet then; it's a new, to me, vet practice and he examined her and everything was obviously fine from his point of view; at that point she'd just started on the new food and was eating well again so I thought I'd see how she goes.

She's a pretty independent and will take herself upstairs in the evening to sleep on her bed - has a bed upstairs and one downstairs - but will often come down to have a wee before bed and expects to play just as I'm wanting to go to bed.

I don't want to go to the vet over nothing, obviously. Does it sound as if I'm being stupid and imagining problems that aren't there? More than happy to be told that. Also I'm not really sure she has any real symptoms to offer the vet, just a gut feeling that maybe all is not right.

Can anyone help?

God I'm sorry that's so horribly long.

MuttonCadet Sun 18-Oct-15 13:42:32

For your own piece of mind take her to be checked over. thanks

MuttonCadet Sun 18-Oct-15 13:42:58

Peace of mind blushblushblush

pigsDOfly Sun 18-Oct-15 14:01:19

Thanks Mutton I think I'm probably heading that way, hence posting on here, but I suppose I don't really know what I'm going to say to the vet apart from 'I have a gut feeling something isn't quite right'.

If it was my old vet I wouldn't hesitate - changed because of house move - I don't want to give the new vet the impression that I'm some sort of 'neurotic owner with a small dog' smile

You're right, it's no good just keep worrying.

Think I'll ring them in the morning. Thanks.

MuttonCadet Sun 18-Oct-15 14:04:34

You know your pet, I'd be amazed if any vet didn't take an owners concern about changes in behaviour seriously.
You have definitely been clear in your opening post that there are changes, you could print it out and take it with you so you cover everything?

pigsDOfly Sun 18-Oct-15 14:13:03

Yes, my last vet always used to say, you know your animal best.

I know I worry too much a about my pets (used to have two cats) so I suppose I try to be more logical about it all and perhaps end up going the other way.

There have been chances so will definitely get her checked out - feel bad I've let it go on now.

It's always helpful to get someone else's perspective. Thanks for your input and helping me see I'm not over reacting.

honeyroar Sun 18-Oct-15 14:47:28

Could you phone your vet initially and have a chat about it? Mine is always very happy to do that and will say "try x first" or "I think I need to see them really".

pigsDOfly Sun 18-Oct-15 15:07:02

Don't know if that's an option at this vet Honey. I've only been to them once and that was for her routine jabs so don't really know them.

My last vet didn't really do that. You spoke to the receptionist and she would usually say that the vet will need to see the animal, which is fair enough I suppose.

The thing is, she's been like this for a couple of weeks now and I'm not sure what else to do. The changes have been very subtle, but she had changed. I did wonder if it could be winter coming on that's made her a bit more sleepy. Always found the cats were a bit more inclined to stay home during winter but not sure dogs are that way inclined. Apart from the fact she's got a double coat so is more equipped for the cold weather as it were smile

She's just come downstairs, had a tiny play, barked at a dog outside and gone back up to bed. Doesn't seem right to me.

We're off for a walk in a minute. Hopefully she'll enjoy that but I definitely think it's time for a vet visit even if he tells me she's absolutely fine (hopefully he will).

honeyroar Sun 18-Oct-15 15:49:01

Well anyway you're not over reacting, there is something to be investigated. Better to go for something silly than miss something serious...

pigsDOfly Sun 18-Oct-15 18:26:47

Thanks Honey that's very true. Dogs can be so good at hiding pain it's not always easy to know what's going on with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now