Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When to start with Kong and what to fill it with?

(4 Posts)
CrumbledFeta Sun 18-Oct-15 08:35:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Sun 18-Oct-15 08:56:57

There are loads of Kong stuffing recipes online- you don't have to freeze it but it helps make it last longer if, like mine, your dog becomes an expert Kong unstuffer grin

My dog loves chicken mixed with plain yoghurt and kibble with the ends plugged with peanut butter, banana and yoghurt is another fave or sardines mashed with kibble

We started off with very simple things which we knew wouldn't upset his tummy and didn't stuff it too tightly so it was easy for him to get out at first - you don't want your puppy deciding it's too hard and not worth the bother

WeAllHaveWings Sun 18-Oct-15 11:39:52

We started off with just part of his kibble allowance in the kong, dry, so it just fell out when he moved it. Then we moved onto soaked kibble lightly pressed in so it was a bit harder to get out, and then firmly pressed in so it needed a bit of work to get out (check its ok to soak your kibble, ours was ok as it was grain free so doesn't swell much)

At 8 weeks they are so tiny still so try that for a few before moving onto different tastes/plugged/harder to reach treats.

LimeJellyHead Sun 18-Oct-15 15:26:08

My dogs prefer Busy Buddy Squirrel Dude. It's not as thick and unwieldy as a KONG. Same idea and can be stuffed.

BTW, don't forget you don't have to completely stuff any of these toys. You can just smear cream cheese or peanut butter or something like that inside and they will still work at licking it out.

You can put just about anything in them. Have fun smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now