Talk

Advanced search

GPS dog tracker....

(9 Posts)
Summerwood1 Tue 13-Oct-15 10:26:43

I lost my dog for about 10 minutes this morning,he darted off chasing squirrels! I panicked thinking I'd lost him or that he might go near a road. It got me thinking about GPS trackers for dogs. Does anyone use one,and is there one that you could recommend to me?
Thanks in advance!

SweetLathyrus Tue 13-Oct-15 11:02:39

I know some people who do - they generally have Springer Spaniels!

There is a comfort I guess in being able to track the little bugger down, but, it won't stop them crossing a road, or ensure they come within reach once you've found them. Don't they also involve a quite sizable monthly subscription? I would rather invest the money in a good series of one-to-ones with an ABTC or APBT accredited trainer to work on recall.

But, glad you found him - it's a horrible, heart-stopping moment, and 10 mins feels like 10 hours.

Perhaps someone who has personal experience will be along shortly, if I sound too negative.

FiveHoursSleep Wed 14-Oct-15 10:12:30

My dogs do race off in the woods and I like to know where they are and have found bear bells to be helpful. I can hear where they are and if the bells get too distant, I can start yelling.

Summerwood1 Wed 14-Oct-15 14:21:16

I'm going to sound silly here but what are bear bells?!!! You mean just like bells you can buy for cats? Sounds a good idea.

FiveHoursSleep Thu 15-Oct-15 22:03:07

They are a big bell they wear on their collars when they are in the woods so I can hear where they are.
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000E3FNAA

Summerwood1 Thu 15-Oct-15 22:29:24

Five hours- thanks a great idea,I shall look at the link that you sent. X

tomatodizzy Fri 16-Oct-15 15:14:33

That bell idea is great. Our one year old lab had great
recall but last week he escaped through the gate and refused to come back when our nanny/cleaning lady called him. We found him two days later - he'd had the life of Riley- eating trash and running with the street dogs. Yesterday on his walk he didn't come when called, so I will have some work to do now. A bell might help but until he forgets how good he thinks the street life is, he's on a lead on his walks for the time being.

PowerPet143 Wed 26-Apr-17 04:22:30

I recommend Trackimo for you but you can also find many others too in the market smile.

trackimo.com/gps-pet-tracker/

Noitsnotteatimeyet Wed 26-Apr-17 06:59:57

You'd need to be very careful about putting a bell on a dog's collar - my dog is quite noise sensitive and he would find it really distressing

One of my friends (with a springer spaniel!) uses a tracker on his collar - I'll ask her which one it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now