Why does my dog pine for me but not his old owners?

(9 Posts)
TheCunnyFunt Mon 14-Sep-15 17:31:27

We got our dog over 3 years ago, he's a retired greyhound and he was in a home for a year or two before we got him. Unfortunately his owner became very ill and she had to return her dogs to the rescue, my dog went to the rescue, then a couple of hours later he came to us. So there was no spending a week or two in a kennel before we got him.

He slotted straight in, like he'd been here forever. He never fretted for his owner. But when I left him with a friend (who he absolutely adores) for a couple of days last year she said he didn't properly settle all weekend and was quite on edge all the time he was with her. He'd lie on his bed whining softly for ages apparently.

I just wondered why he obviously pined for me but he never did for his old owner. Does anyone know why this could be?

ender Mon 14-Sep-15 18:40:57

The previous owner probably had to give the dog less and less attention as her illness developed so he was already used to less contact with her before being rehomed.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 14-Sep-15 18:47:17

your friend probably kept asking him if he was alright and set him on edge. Too much concern and <headtilt> kindness, so he picked up on being out of kilter

Brisk, kind and efficient no nonsense is what's required for successful dog sitting. No indulgence! ;)

TheCunnyFunt Mon 14-Sep-15 19:46:21

Ooh no not her, she definitely has more of the brisk, kind and efficient type of approach grin she'd never have over fussed him!

His owner had a massive stroke with no chance of recovery so she wasn't gradually deteriorating. Sorry, I should've mentioned that. It was all very sudden and her dogs were returned to the rescue within a few days of her stroke.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 14-Sep-15 21:29:36

he must just love you the best then grin

<gavel>

fastdaytears Mon 14-Sep-15 21:35:07

He sounds lovely!

laundryeverywhere Sun 20-Sep-15 12:27:09

I always think dogs seem to know when they have been rescued.

StayWithMe Sun 20-Sep-15 12:39:30

Both of mine are rescues and react the same. My old boy had one previous owner and became distraught when I had to so end a few weeks with very little time to come come. Even though my grown up kids who admire him were at home. He became incontinent until I was able to return home full time. He was still very anxious for weeks after. He's back to normal now. I once left him with a friend, who he adores, for an hour and he spent the whole time crying at the door.

The youngest has had at least two previous owners and scores the whole family but I know I will never be able to lead him with anyone as all the hard work we had to do to rehabilitate him, would be undone.

I think when they are rescued, they react very badly to change as they think they're being rehomed again.

StayWithMe Sun 20-Sep-15 12:41:57

so end = spend
admire = adore
scores = adores
Ffs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now