Talk

Advanced search

My dog has just eaten a lot of chocolate...

(14 Posts)
MaryPoppinsPenguins Sat 05-Sep-15 08:02:23

We got home from holiday and left both suitcases open on the spare bed and all went to sleep...

In the night my dog has gotten into the case and ripped open and eaten two huge bags of chocolate (like, individual chocolate coins in a gift bag).

There's foil everywhere but I can't imagine he ate both bags without also eating some foil too!

He's drinking a lot of water but seems okay, what do I need to do?

(Stupid dog!!!! blush)

Petradreaming Sat 05-Sep-15 08:03:38

Call a vet for advice now. Immediately. It could kill him.

CMOTDibbler Sat 05-Sep-15 08:04:37

He needs the emergency vet - that quantity of chocolate is really serious

AngelaRipp0n Sat 05-Sep-15 08:05:01

Something similar happened to a friends dog and she found something online that gave her a comparison of dog size to amount of chocolate eaten so you can work out if it was a dangerous amount. Have a Google.

ARightOldPickle Sat 05-Sep-15 08:06:43

I agree - call the vet for urgent advice. Chocolate can kill dogs.

Hackersschmakers Sat 05-Sep-15 08:08:34

Agree - call the vet. My stupid wesite ate two chocolate oranges and was thankfully fine but it can be fatal.

TheCrowFromBelow Sat 05-Sep-15 08:21:45

it depends on how much cocoa is in the chocolate and how big your dog is. Milk chocolate is relatively low, however I would call the vet as he probably has ingested foil and it can take quite a small amount to do serious harm if he's a small dog.

Our dog recently ate a tub of cocoa powder confused and had to have an emetic, overnight stay and alot of charcoal. He came through it ok!

MaryPoppinsPenguins Sat 05-Sep-15 08:25:26

I've called the emergency line but no ones answering... They open in 5 minutes.

It was milk chocolate, but I googled it and I'm guessing he's around 27 pounds, and it's saying 'severe'

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 05-Sep-15 12:41:23

Oh lord. Hope he's ok.

pygmyangel Sat 05-Sep-15 13:57:38

Our greyhound did this when we'd only had her for 2 weeks. She got into Ds's bedroom and ate a 400g bar of galaxy and a Toblerone. We had to go to the emergency vet who gave her an emetic injection and kept her in overnight on a drip and charcoal. She was fine afterwards but we are now very careful to make sure chocolate out of reach. Drinking lots is a symptom of the effect of theobromine in the chocolate.

NatFrenchie Sun 06-Sep-15 11:07:49

Is your dog ok? Please update.

Eliza22 Sun 06-Sep-15 19:51:34

How is your dog now?

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 07-Sep-15 13:22:36

Hello, sorry for the delay, without the app it doesn't cross my mind as much to come on here...

While I was on the phone to the vet receptionist he started to get that horrible stomach noise that happens before they throw up so she let me speak to the vet.

She told me to bring him in, he was sick on the driveway before we even got in the car, and when we got there the vet checked him over, was happy that he'd been sick and let us go home. (Then called us twice to check on him because she's so brilliant!)

He's fine and completely back to himself.

(I'm a rubbish owner though!! I had no idea raisins were bad for dogs too... My DD always throws DDog a raisin when she's eating them!!)

NatFrenchie Mon 07-Sep-15 13:57:41

Glad he's alright. Yep have also been learning just how many things are poisonous to dogs and talking of raisins - grapes are a no-no too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now