Talk

Advanced search

Am I being stupidly stubborn?

(38 Posts)
Hoppinggreen Wed 19-Aug-15 13:37:16

All my life I have been in love with one breed of dog, my parents got our 1st one when I was 7 and then had 2 more, the last one died when I was in my 30's. Since living on my own I always knew that one day I would have one of my own and now at last all the stars have aligned and we are in a position to get a dog.
Problem is DH doesn't want this breed! He says they are too large and hairy and will only agree to a smaller dog. He also doesn't agree with paying for a pedigree dog when we could look for a rescue puppy. He had Jack Russell cross as a child and wants something that size. We used to have my mums dog to stay sometimes so he does know how large and hairy the dog I want is so he's not just being awkward. We do have the space for a large dog.
I keep thinking that breed doesn't matter so I look for rescue puppies or other smaller breeds and just when I find one I see my preferred breed again and it all goes out of the window. For example we met someone on holiday with a Pom, really liked it and researched the breed and thought it might be an option. On our 1st day home I met someone walking my preferred breed and that was it, I no longer want a Pom.
Am I just being silly? Would I be able to love any dog that was part of our family? Dd just wants a dog of any kind and ds doesn't care so it's just me.
Would any dog we got just not be a X or would I just forget the whole breed thing ? We dog sit a couple of dogs ( not my preferred breed) and although they are great I do think that they aren't an X
I think part of my obsession ( if it's that) is that between the ages of about 10 and 20 my home life was very hard And our dog was a real comfort to me, if I was crying in my room he would come and find me and sit with (on) me until I felt better.
Anyone else in love with one breed but tried another and it worked? Or should I keep trying to persuade DH?

Catzeyess Wed 19-Aug-15 14:15:57

If your DH is not against that breed can't you find a specific breed rescue?

Nothing wrong with having a fav breed as long as you don't put that above welfare of dog if you see what I mean (eg I love border collies they are my absolute fav breed of dog, but at the moment it wouldn't be fair to have one as I wouldn't be able to provide the life it's deserves at this stage in my life)

tabulahrasa Wed 19-Aug-15 14:18:07

I'm completely the opposite, I like personality traits and happily have any dog that has them or if young breed that should have them...

What is it about that breed that you're drawn to?

Hoppinggreen Wed 19-Aug-15 14:39:41

He isn't against the breed per se but its size and hairiness.
I know the breed and we are well able to take care of one so I'm not putting my desire for a specific breed above the dogs welfare. It's generally a good family pet with the right training. For example DD would love a Husky ( largely based on looks) but I would never have one. I wouldn't get a breed not suitable for us just because I only wanted that breed. I know them well and they suit our criteria, except for size.
Also mil doesn't like large dogs and has said that if we had a smaller breed she would gladly dog sit in hols etc but not a larger one. Not a major consideration though.
I think the reason I am so drawn to them is past experience if you see my thread and a very positive bond with one as a child.
I think I'm being silly and give myself a mental slap but just then we happen to bump into one and I melt!!

Booboostwo Wed 19-Aug-15 14:40:30

Breed matters to me too.

I think the answer here is to consider who will do most of the care for the dog and that person gets to chose the breed/type.

What is the breed? Tell me it's GSDs, they are the best! grin

Hoppinggreen Wed 19-Aug-15 14:52:10

Well that's me then boo!!!!
Not GSD though, beautiful as they are. Golden Retrivers.
DH didn't want a dog for ages but he has agreed now - not grudgingly he says he is up for it but we have reached an impasse on size.
As DD points out, he is large and hairy but he's allowed to live here!

tabulahrasa Wed 19-Aug-15 15:00:10

I read what you said about the dog you had as a child...I just more meant, dogs vary hugely in personality and was there anything in particular that could be found in another breed.

I assumed you were talking about a much bigger breed btw, with the size objection, lol.

I mean I know retrievers are a large breed...but they're not like Newfoundlands or anything...

Booboostwo Wed 19-Aug-15 15:22:44

Goodies are lovely! Go for it, they are not exactly a giant breed and the puppies are super gorgeous!

Hoppinggreen Wed 19-Aug-15 15:33:52

I know they aren't THAT big, we also had a Great Dane but I suppose compared to DH's Jack Russell childhood pet they are.
tabula I'm sure that lots of other breeds have many of the same attributes and I have researched some but as soon as I see a Goldie that's it, reason goes out of the window.
Ok, so I'm not stupidly stubborn - might just go and get one, I expect I will be forgiven eventually!!

Buttercup27 Wed 19-Aug-15 15:33:57

I wouldn't say golden retrievers are big to be honest. They can vary in size but any breed can (our lab is big enough to rest his head on the dining table when he is sat down and his dad was even bigger, where as his mum was knee height stood up and both pure bred.)
I think I would go for a larger dog as all small dogs I know have small dog syndrome and like the sound of their own voice (I know this is a huge generalisation but it is my experience ).

BestIsWest Wed 19-Aug-15 16:18:30

We had a GR. She lived to the age 15 and was a great family dog, beautiful, biddable and calm so I Understand your reasons for wanting one.

I wanted another but was persuaded to let DH choose the next breed and we have a miniature Schnauzer. Much smaller, moult free and adored by us all. No small dog syndrome. I don't regret not having another GR at all.

SurlyCue Wed 19-Aug-15 16:30:08

I have a big golden. Hes a hairy shedding beast. The hair torments me. It is a daily issue. However he is without a doubt the most fantastic dog i have ever owned. His temperament is unbeatable. No idea of that is down to breed or just pure luck but i dont think i'll ever find another like him when he crosses the rainbow bridge. But if i was to get another dog, i'd go for a reacue whippet or greyhound.

BestIsWest Wed 19-Aug-15 16:41:14

I was still finding hair 3 years after she died. The moults are incredible. But they are beautiful.

Hoppinggreen Wed 19-Aug-15 16:44:01

Miniature schnauzer is one I've considered a a friend has a lovely one.
Perhaps it's just my childhood dog I want rather than a GR and I would be disappointed?

BestIsWest Wed 19-Aug-15 17:00:04

I think each dog has its own personality and you wouldn't be disappointed.

I think we all feel that way about our childhood dogs.

Buttercup27 Wed 19-Aug-15 17:39:16

We bought a robot hoover to help combat hair, it hoovers the ground floor twice a day which helps loads !

Hoppinggreen Wed 19-Aug-15 17:47:44

We already have Vinnie the roboVac!!!
So basically you all agree with me and DH is wrong and I can have my GR Puppy, which I have certainly not been looking for already.

BestIsWest Wed 19-Aug-15 17:53:08

grin

Buttercup27 Wed 19-Aug-15 18:47:34

grin

MeganTrainer Wed 19-Aug-15 19:09:03

You're not being stupidly stubborn IMO.

I've wanted a Border Collie for years but like lots of other breeds too.

I've spent a couple of years, since our oldest dog died, musing on what to get next.

I often see a particularly bright dog of a breed not generally known for brains and think "Ooh - maybe one of them....". Or a breed I don't find especially aesthetically pleasing but has a really charming personality. For instance we've got a Boston Terrier in class who doesn't do much for me looks-wise but he's just the happiest, silliest thing. Adorable. So then I want one of them!

However nothing makes me melt into a worshipful puddle like a BC. So I gave in and we're on the list of a fab breeder and all being well I'll have my pup around Feb time <squeeee>

You can love all breeds but often there's one that your heart yearns for - for whatever reason.

Good luck!

basildonbond Wed 19-Aug-15 19:45:40

You really really should get a Toller instead wink

MeganTrainer Wed 19-Aug-15 19:55:59

Tollers are lovely!

My dog is mostly BC with a teeny bit of poodle. So she's BC shaped but with shorter legs (minipoo dad). She looks a lot like a very dark brown Toller smile

Hoppinggreen Wed 19-Aug-15 21:46:32

Love Tollers, we dog sit one occasionally and he is very handsome and well behaved.
Not quite a Goldie though, but almost!!
As far as DH is concerned though not much smaller or less hairy

Greyhorses Thu 20-Aug-15 21:32:19

I have always loved GSD. I ended up rescuing a GSDx by mistake and I love him to bits but I still missed having a 'proper' shepherd.

I now have 2 dogs instead of one (my half shepherd and my full shepherd) grin

I would get the goldie!

lougle Thu 20-Aug-15 21:49:49

I was thinking GSD! We think our rescue is GSDXGR and he is the perfect dog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now