Talk

Advanced search

11 week old puppy - advice please

(4 Posts)
rhetorician Tue 18-Aug-15 14:16:35

We've just got a puppy - 11 weeks old and (I think) doing well. Slept in her crate last night - got her up for a wee once. Some crying, but settled with reassurance. Has done most of wees and poos in the garden. Is playing with a toy as I type (I am planning to be at home as much as possible in the next week). But what do I need to know? I"m a total novice. If I put her in her crate and she whines, should I leave her for a while. How do I teach her to be OK when left alone (at the moment she cries if you leave the room)? How much should I allow the kids to interact with her? I like her a lot, but I feel a bit stressed at how little I know about looking after her. She seems friendly, not aggressive and as if she has a good temperament. But then again, I know nothing....

insanityscatching Tue 18-Aug-15 21:22:06

Can't advise about crates because we didn't use one but it sounds like your puppy is doing well on the house training front. From twelve weeks we started leaving Eric for 10 minutes a day and then increasing it every four days. He did cry at first but we left him with his toys and a treat and he was fine and by the time he was six months old we could leave him for 90 minutes and now at 20 months he's fine for four hours but generally never left more than three. What sort of puppy is she?

rhetorician Tue 18-Aug-15 21:54:50

a terrier crossed with a miniature pinscher - I am in the process of lining up people to hang out with her when we aren't here. Vet said to leave her for 30 minutes and build it up from there.

insanityscatching Tue 18-Aug-15 22:24:25

I'm a bit of a softie and didn't want him upset so that's why we started with ten minutes tbh and there was no rush for me to be able to leave him. I'm sure the vet would know best how to start leaving her.We've never had any trouble though when he's been left he has free rein of downstairs and we've never come home to any mess or anything chewed, he seems to take the opportunity to sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now