Talk

Advanced search

Which dog with cat?!

(10 Posts)
Wolfiefan Fri 14-Aug-15 19:18:10

I got turned down today for a rescue dog. Very sad and now rethinking things.

We don't have any pets at the moment but hope to get a couple of cats soon.

I want one dog. But what? I don't work. I have two kids. Both school age. We have a decent size house. Garden ok size and lots of lovely walks. Two walks a day easily doable.
I know what I don't want. I don't want the stereotypical terrier. (DM has a lovely but feisty terrier!) I don't want a staffy type. I don't want to be constantly grooming but don't mind shedding.
Ideally I'd love a wolfhound but they cost loads and don't live long.
I like greyhounds but DH reckons they look weird. (LTB?)
Cavaliers but health issues.
Setters, collies, spaniels too bonkers?
Don't want a guarding type breed.
My kids are ok round dogs but both can be a bit nervous. (Back off a bit not running screaming!) DD doesn't like barking.

And the there's how to introduce dog and cat. Which first? How to do it?

Dammit. I had less angst when I had pfb!
grin

pigsDOfly Fri 14-Aug-15 19:45:09

If you're thinking of getting cats then you're right to dismiss terriers or anything else with a high prey drive. Likewise a retired greyhound.

Staffies are lovely dogs and I would think would be fine with cats and of course children but you say you don't want one.

Tbh you list seems to cover a large percentage of breeds.

Perhaps you should look at something like a Bichon frise or something similar: Maltese or perhaps a poodle; all pretty good natured dogs and not very big so won't overwhelm the children.

I had my cats (both 17 years old) when I got my dog - eight week old puppy at the time - and it worked fine. You just have to be sensible about how you introduce them and take it slowly.

Wolfiefan Fri 14-Aug-15 20:14:43

Thanks. I love the Westie I walk but he barks a lot!
I'd love a setter or flat coat.
Setter too manic?
Flat coats also seem to have serious health issues.
I guess I need a Heinz! smile

Wolfiefan Fri 14-Aug-15 20:57:06

Anyone got a flat coat?

SunnyL Fri 14-Aug-15 21:05:18

Why did you get turned down for the rescue dog?

Wolfiefan Fri 14-Aug-15 21:16:38

Nothing personal! The rescue said we sounded like a "lovely home". It was a young dog and they have chosen a home with a dog already to help her settle.

CMOTDibbler Fri 14-Aug-15 21:17:08

It really depends on the dog, not the breed tbh. A nice scruffly lurcher would look a bit like a wolfhound, not as bony as a greyhound (which I guess is what your dh is on about), tend to not be barky. Eddie isn't cat safe but is the type of dog look I mean.

My lurchers live happily with our three cats who were here first. Evilgingercat is in charge of them tbh, and uses ddog1 as a heater.

roseandgrey Fri 14-Aug-15 21:23:13

I agree with Dibbler in that it is more the temperament of the dog as oppose to the breed. We have a border terrier and he is absolutely wonderful with our cat.

WeAllHaveWings Fri 14-Aug-15 21:25:44

we have a black Labrador Retriever, perfect dog if you don't mind shedding you will regret saying that if you get one

We have had him 2 1/2 years, although not all labs are the same, I can count on my fingers the number of times he has barked. A very common dog (have been known to be running around with up to 6 black labs at our local dog walking field) but for a reason, very biddable and trainable but lots of shedding and as a large breed expensive for insurance etc.

A good walk a couple of times a day and he's happy.

We don't like have cats, but if he sees them when out he just looks at them.

Wolfiefan Fri 14-Aug-15 21:29:05

CMOT I had seen Eddie! Gorgeous boy!
I'm still looking at flat coats!
I agree totally with it being the indidvidual dog. That's a part of the reason I was looking at rescue. It does seem though that certain breeds have strong traits. (Though of course every dog is an individual!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now