Talk

Advanced search

Puppy just mouthing? this seems more

(6 Posts)
anniebear71 Fri 14-Aug-15 17:47:30

My puppy is 5 and a half months old, still mouthing our fingers but does stop if we tell her no. When DH comes in from work she gets very excited and jumps up and tries to bite his hands.she did it just now then jumped across to go for my hand, which I pulled away quickly!
I know she's still a puppy, but this seems more than mouthing. Been a hard afternoon with her .
She also jumps up lots still, she does it when my mum and dad call round, my dad doesn't mind but my mum does as she's scared of her going for her fingers.
Help! Thanks for any advice

Enchufla Fri 14-Aug-15 17:49:23

Teach her to sit or go to her bed when people come in. If you act calmly when you come in she wont hype up even more. She will eventually grow out of it, my mums puppy was a vicious little bugger for quite some time

rumbleinthrjungle Fri 14-Aug-15 18:06:09

What breed? My cocker was a raging nightmare for nipping and mouthing as a puppy and I was in tears more than once when she was 6-7 months old that we were never going to get out of this stage. All the standard strategies seemed to go in one floppy ear and out the other.

Something stuck though as by a year old she had the softest mouth I've ever seen in a dog. Still over excitable though! There are some nice vids on Youtube about clicking for calm if you play clicker games with the puppy, Kikopup's series are ones I like, they're short and easy to follow.

anniebear71 Fri 14-Aug-15 18:17:31

Oh thank you so much, she's a lovely gorgeous dog, loves cuddles and we have been quite fortunate in a lot of ways with her.
She is a cross with King Charles and a toy poodle .
You have given me some hope , thank you

Wolfiefan Fri 14-Aug-15 18:24:17

My mum's border terrier was a nightmare for this. We told her to get a toy before she greeted us or handed her one. She couldn't mouth with a toy in her mouth!

anniebear71 Fri 14-Aug-15 18:57:39

Thanks so much, you have given me hope! She's a lovely puppy, so friendly. She's a cross between a king Charles and toy poodle x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now