Talk

Advanced search

Direct line pet insurance query

(5 Posts)
getdownshep Thu 13-Aug-15 12:09:53

My mini pinscher is having a luxating patella op next month. I took him to my regular vets last year, it has been taken over by a big chain of vets so I wasn't happy for him to be treated there, we just had a consultation, no treatment was needed.
I was told the op wasn't urgent and he wasn't in any pain so I left it alone.
In the last month he has been pulling his leg up again so I took him today to a vet that was recommended by a friend.
They were much better so I decided to book in his op for Sept. I just rang direct line claim line and they said they need me to send a claim form to the first vet as my policy is 12 months from first treatment.
Is a consultation considered treatment? I'm really worried that I'm not going to be covered for £900+ vet bill

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 13-Aug-15 12:41:52

The claim clock starts ticking from the first time you mention the problem to a vet and they put it in their clinical notes. This is one the biggest issues with cheaper insurance policies.

getdownshep Thu 13-Aug-15 13:04:23

Thanks lonecat I thought this was the case. It's so annoying because I had the more expensive policy but couldn't afford the payments so down graded last year.
It will have to go on the credit card then.

LokiBuddyBoo1 Fri 14-Aug-15 04:43:05

Phone your insurance company and ask them explain everything to them tellingvthem when you first had the consultation about it and see what they say first before you opt to pay for it yourself.
They will let you know if your covered for the op or not you have nothing to lose by checking with them first.

getdownshep Fri 14-Aug-15 12:28:49

Just been on the phone for two hours, phoning two vets and insurance company.
I have been referred to a pre authorisation department who discuss my case with the new vet and let me know either way in 72 hours.
The vets wouldn't phone the pre authorisation number which annoyed me but luckily directline agreed to phone them as a one off.
Everything crossed now but not feeling hopeful tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now