Talk

Advanced search

Would we be a suitable home for a dog?

(10 Posts)
ToTheGups Wed 12-Aug-15 10:43:04

I am considering getting a pet dog to join our family but I'm not sure what breed would be suitable, if any.

I am a single mum of three children aged ten, eight and three.
We are out of the house from 8am - 3.30pm Monday - Friday
We have a cat who is mostly an outdoor cat but does sleep at home a couple of times a week and comes in most days for food.
We would walk the dog daily but would prefer a breed that has light exercise requirements.
We have an enclosed back garden.

So with all the above considered, would we be able to provide a dog with a suitable home and if yes, which breeds would you suggest.

I am researching this but would like to hear from people who have experience.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 12-Aug-15 10:46:06

I'm sorry but 7 and a half hours by itself every day of the week - minimum, more if you get held up - is way, way too long. Dogs need company.

CMOTDibbler Wed 12-Aug-15 10:47:07

I don't think a dog would be suitable for you - you are out of the house a long time everyday, you wouldn't be able to walk the dog properly before you went out even if you got a dog walker to come at lunchtime, and your youngest is little enough that you'll struggle to get out in the evening for a walk, especially in the winter.

DrElizabethPlimpton Wed 12-Aug-15 10:48:45

I'm sorry but you are out for too long each day.

I have a dog but I am at home all day. When I do go out it is for an hour or so, the maximum stretch I would leave her is 4 hours occasionally. Dogs are very social animals and it would be cruel to leave them for 7.5 hours + a day.

Sorry

ToTheGups Wed 12-Aug-15 10:52:38

Thanks for your advice. I did suspect that it wouldn't be a viable idea. Maybe another cat instead.

Supervet Wed 12-Aug-15 11:03:52

Would you consider or could you afford dog day care. We only use it occassionally as I work from home but our local one is fantastic and charges £7.50 a day for six hours

ToTheGups Wed 12-Aug-15 11:11:45

I would have a look into it but I don't drive and have to get the kids to school in the mornings. I would have to be able to walk there within 30 mins.

My friend walks her mums dogs every day and would be happy to walk mine too I assume but I wouldn't want to rely on that in case her circumstances changed.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 12-Aug-15 11:20:58

Also, OP, it's not just the walking it is the constantt, unrelenting being on its own the majority of the day. There may be a dog or two that don't mind, but they are very few and far between. Maybe an elderly dog used to being on its own, but a puppy or young dog, no way. Maybe there will be a change in your circumstances in a few years which may make it easier to have a dog.

Supervet Wed 12-Aug-15 11:33:10

Ours has a dog taxi so can collect within so many miles.

It's not for everyone and I only use ours once or twice a month but lots do full time at ours and they do training/scent work and all kinds!

ToTheGups Wed 12-Aug-15 11:33:21

I think you are right. I wasn't sure if there were some breeds that don't mind, hence asking but I am happy to accept the consensus that it is not for us right now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now