Talk

Advanced search

Is it o.k to let your dog...

(13 Posts)
hookedonamoonagedaydream Tue 11-Aug-15 19:16:23

I'm not being sarcastic here, just genuinely curious as to the code of conduct as it were.

We had a picnic today, food laid out on a rug, a dog comes past and starts to eat some of the food. Luckily we had finished eating but both adults were busy sorting out DCs so didn't get a chance to shoo the dog away before they got to the food. The lady walking the dogs wasn't really that bothered tbh, but was it our fault for having food that was accessible?

Later on in the day a couple of dogs kept running back to see us as we were walking along, fine except DS is utterly terrified of dogs. The owners just wandered on ahead pretty much oblivious, at one point they turned and saw a commotion but just carried on. Is it just our look out and if DS is afraid of dogs then I shouldn't go to a place where dogs might be?

My kids are pretty much townies so I am trying to get them out a bit more to places other than 'parks' with swings and slides, not sure its worth it after today sad

TopCivilServant Tue 11-Aug-15 19:18:16

Isn't ok for dogs to do either of those things but your last paragraph is massively over reacting

starlight2007 Tue 11-Aug-15 19:20:43

No its not ok to do either. I would of told the walker to call their dogs off.

OrionsAccessory Tue 11-Aug-15 19:23:52

No I wouldn't let my dog do either of those things (and he would definitely do the first one if he got the opportunity!) I would have told the owner to call their dog back in the first one though. You met two shitty dog owners I'm afraid.

bikeandrun Tue 11-Aug-15 19:26:09

Dog owner should have had dog under control, a similar thing happened today to us during a picnic. Dog nicked a sandwich ( had been discarded but dog didn't know this) owner mortified, apologised, we had a pleasant chat and then got on with our lives. Isn't this how most things are resolved in real life? Instead of thinking I will never take my kids on a lovely picnic ever again?

StandoutMop Tue 11-Aug-15 19:27:22

I got told off the other day for picking up my dd, who is terrified of dogs, to move her away from a large boxer that had come running after her. Apparently he then jumped up at me because I had lifted the thing he was interested in (Dd) up and he was just being friendly / inquisitive.

Tbh, he did seem friendly, but to a nervous child he probably just seemed massive.

Also experienced OPs problem at a picnic, including a dog walker (I assume), with 10+ dogs which ran through our picnic, snaffling food and scattering children before she was even round the corner in the path to see it.

I try to like dogs, but do sometimes find the owners make it hard.

hookedonamoonagedaydream Tue 11-Aug-15 19:28:53

possibly Top, but I was out with a friend today, not sure how I would have felt out on my own tbh, at one point DS was clinging to my legs and DD was running away from a dog. I quite like dogs but I have no idea about them so I'm quite cautious.

NickiFury Tue 11-Aug-15 19:30:31

I'd be mortified if my dog got involved in someone's picnic. It's not ok at all.

Wotsitsareafterme Tue 11-Aug-15 19:45:21

Not ok in any way. I find it very rude, what you describe in the op and other similar dog owner behaviour hmm Andi have a dog! I am trying very hard to teach him not to mither strangers - it's not allowed!

Meowandchoppychops Tue 11-Aug-15 21:10:13

I have a dog and wouldn't allow mine to do either of those things. I try and get my dogs attention fixed on me so little kids can see he just isn't interested. After my dog stole a sandwich from a walker once I try and avoid walking him during summer around lunch time as he is food obsessed and I find it quite stressful having him off lead as his recall can be a bit unreliable around food. Don't let your experience put you off. There are lots of responsible dog owners out there.

basildonbond Wed 12-Aug-15 11:08:05

Well no it's not on to let your dog raid picnics or bother small children

However it's in your own interests to ensure your children know how to behave around dogs. The vast majority of dogs are friendly and really do just want to play and when faced with small child squeaking and running they think 'whoopee! Game in!'

Have a look at the Dogs Trust's Be Dog Smart campaign - talk about what to do with your children - and keep taking them out to places where they might meet dogs smile

theanswerisbark Wed 12-Aug-15 15:15:28

I'd be mortified if either of my dogs gatecrashed a picnic. I tend to avoid popular picnic areas at lunchtime on sunny days for this reason. I can call my dogs away from 1 or 2 picnics and avoid that side of the park etc, but trying to navigate through loads of picnics is stressful and hard work.

I generally keep my dogs away from other families walking. But it isn't always possible, if there is a path and we are all on it then my dogs will have to walk past your child at some point. I'll keep the dogs close to me and pass as wide as I can. Generally the dogs pass calmly with no interest in the child, but there is nothing like a screaming fussing child to attract the dogs attention!

We've had a few child-related incidents in the past involving stolen rice cakes from a toddler, a licked face or two, and a stolen football. But luckily no one has been upset, and I've always apologised and tried to anticipate and avoid the same thing happening again. Don't avoid places with dogs, but do try to teach DS to manage his fear, and if possible help him to overcome it so that he isn't anxious :-)

Collaborate Wed 12-Aug-15 16:39:48

Took my dog to the park this afternoon and although she stayed away from the 3 families picnicking (good girl), she did find nearby bread crusts. I'm not sure that whoever left those strewn around 10m away from their picnic could complain had my dog then decided to find out what other goodies were on offer for her.

She also passed, off-lead, a couple of tots no more than 18-24 months old on a path around 50m away from the rest of their group and behind a row of trees. As she does, when passing them she angled her head to have a sniff (got within I'd say an inch or two of him), and one of them did not like her close proximity at all. I don't think she did anything wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now