Talk

Advanced search

Need dog boarding/pet sitting advice opinions etc.

(5 Posts)
RandomMess Tue 11-Aug-15 17:37:25

Have a rescue dog who is lovely, very cuddly etc.

With her previous owners she did go to boarding kennels but with their 3 other dogs and the kennel owners commented that she was a nervous/anxious dog but she had improved over the visits. I believe they probably went in for long weekends every 6-8 weeks.

She is the sort of dog who won't let just anyone walk her, doesn't want to leave our house unless it is one of us and sometimes won't go very far with the dc who don't walk her regularly.

We will need to go away at some point somewhere that she can't stay with us. Just not sure what is the best option for her sad

Kennels where she's been before but she'll be on her own (think she would be frightened/anxious but perhaps not just sleep lots???)

Having a pet-sitter at ours, her going to a pet-sitter???

Any experienced opinions/options greatly appreciated!

CMOTDibbler Tue 11-Aug-15 17:49:33

I'd try her with someone who home boards as a day stay initially and see if she was happy in a little group not kennelled, and then if that doesn't work out, I'd look at a pet sitter at home. I recently looked at costs, and it wasn't awful for a residential house sitter, and we'll probably do that next year - we were recently lucky enough to have a nephew dog/cat/chicken/house sit for the weekend which was great

HemanOrSheRa Tue 11-Aug-15 17:51:21

If it was me, I would forget kennels. If for no other reason than you would be worried sick about her. We've left our dog at a pet sitters. They insisted that we do a short trial run before we left our dog for any length of time. She was fine and loved it but she very outgoing and nothing much phases her.

How is your dog with other dogs? If she is nervous would it be difficult to find a pet sitter that only takes one dog at a time? In fact I'd go for the sitter at your home! If she won't go out for a walk it won't matter too much and at least she'll be in surroundings that she's comfortable with.

chelle792 Tue 11-Aug-15 17:53:36

My boy is nervy. For that reason I have him out with a dog walker a couple of times a week. He's so much more confident for it.

He stays at her house when I go away because he knows her and her dogs.

Be warned though, I had a really bad experience with my first and the bloke did so much damage that my boy resorted to running away from him when he came to collect him!

RandomMess Sat 15-Aug-15 22:02:52

I went to visit the boarding kennels on an impromptu basis and took ddog with me. She recognised where she was for sure. Mostly happy tail wagging with a few occasions of not quite so happy but absolutely no "miserable/frightened/tail down" moments. The 3 staff I saw all knew who ddog was by name etc.

Although I don't like the thought of leaving her there it's clear she was okay there so I think I'll follow that route as it's only ever for a few nights at a time rather than a 2 week holiday!

I will continue to look for alternatives in the meantime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now