loader

Talk

Advanced search

Puppy and horse poo...

(5 Posts)
Bonkay Sat 08-Aug-15 17:36:24

She is obsessed!hmm

Eats it, plays with it, rolls in it...

While it's not the nicest thing in the world is it going to do her any harm?

I have horses so she's with me quite a lot down the yard so just keeping her away isn't really a option.

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 08-Aug-15 17:41:55

I wouldn't thought it would do harm as long as there are no worms in it grin. Just check horses aren't on any medication which might appear in poo if she's eating it.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 09-Aug-15 21:47:32

Dogs are disgusting creatures.

If he gets a chance our lab eats deer/sheep/cat poo, he also goes for the silage/manure the farmer puts on his fields.

We stop him as much as possible, he semi responds to the command "yuck", and he hasn't been really ill from it yet, although if he manages to eat a bit he gets very smelly wind so I guess it does upset his stomach.

A quick google seems to indicate horse manure can be a problem for both worms and horse medication entering the dogs system so I would try to stop him eating (maybe try a muzzle), and make sure her worming is always up to date.

tomatodizzymum Mon 10-Aug-15 15:11:23

My lab grew out of it. We're cattle ranchers so we also had no choice. He will occasionally roll in it. He is still completely and utterly obsessed with horses but their poo, not so much. Be thankful it's not cow pats, we went through that obsession too. (Boak)

gailforce1 Mon 10-Aug-15 19:41:33

Whilst horse droppings are just grass and possibly have a probiotic effect please be aware that horse wormers are fatal to dogs and I would not allow a dog to eat the droppings of a horse that had been recently wormed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now