Talk

Advanced search

Retraining to use the stairs - help and advice much appreciated

(3 Posts)
fourquenelles Thu 06-Aug-15 10:24:15

I adopted a Spanish galgo (greyhound) in December and he was scared of the stairs (he could go up but not down). We managed to get him used to going up and down and have had no problems until now.

He seemed to have hurt his legs or back as he whimpered when he jumped up into the sofa and really whimpered when he came upstairs. The vet has checked him all over but could find nothing amiss. She has given him painkillers and given me a watching brief.

He now gets on and off the sofa without the whimper but he refuses to come upstairs. He has separation anxiety and whines at night, turning into loud barking, if he is left alone downstairs. He used to come up and sleep on my bed. I have been sleeping downstairs for a couple of hours at night to reassure him.

How do I get him to be less scared of the stairs? He is easily spooked anyway and I don't want to force him and put him off for life but I can't keep sleeping downstairs. Any help and advice very gratefully received.

fourquenelles Thu 06-Aug-15 13:04:48

As you were everyone. The monkey has taken himself up (and down) stairs. He is a pickle.

CMOTDibbler Thu 06-Aug-15 15:15:57

Sounds like sighthound drama queen behaviour smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now