Talk

Advanced search

London dog - whippet? Or something else?

(16 Posts)
stealthbanana Wed 05-Aug-15 21:43:56

Hello kind MNers - would love to hear from those of you with experience with owning dogs in central London. I have had dogs all my life, mostly cocker spaniels, but when our last dog died and we moved to london into a smallish house w only a patio we didn't get another one as didn't feel it was fair to the dog in those circs.

We're about to move to a lovely house in West London (Brook Green) that has a 40' garden - so not massive but sufficient, I think. We both work full time but I work in a dog friendly office and can bring the dog to work. Doggy daycare is also an option for the days that's not possible.

So I'm now starting to look again at the possibility of a dog. I have always loved whippets and am seriously considering one as in many ways they seem perfect for London - reasonably lazy, need exercise but not lab levels of exercise, happy hanging out with you (ie could have one in a basket/on th sofa in my office and it would be fine), low shedding, don't like the rain grin

The only thing that concerns me/I'm not sure about is in relation to the type of exercise they need. Specifically, how much off leash and where? There is a dog park on Brook Green but it's obviously a suburban green and therefore surrounded by roads - I wouldn't be super excited about letting a dog off the lead there. We have Kensington gardens/Hyde park down the road but it's obviously more of a time commitment to do that every day. What do you think?

And if a whippet is a no go, what breeds would suit? (Am very tempted to get another cocker but I think they're too high maintenance for london...despite the large number I see around!)

Thanks in advance x

CMOTDibbler Wed 05-Aug-15 21:54:10

I think a whippet would love to sleep under your desk, hoolie round in the garden, and walk on lead during the week.

CMOTDibbler Wed 05-Aug-15 22:10:29

And look, heres Oscar who needs a new home. And at 7 months, most of the hard puppy work is gone, but young enough to really bond.

stealthbanana Wed 05-Aug-15 22:37:38

Oh Oscar would be perfect but will rescues rehome to a couple working full time? I was under the impression they wouldn't.

Lokibuddyboo Thu 06-Aug-15 02:27:50

A whippet sounds like a good breed for you my father has one they make great pets.
They don't need too much walking as long as they get some off lead time each day to zoom around. they love to run so a secure place for off lead is advisable as recall is hard if they see something to chase.
But they also love nothing more than being around you like a shadow and sitting on you or against you. They would be great for taking to the office as long as they have somewhere comfy to sleep.
You won't regret getting one they really are a loveable and cuddly breed.

Lokibuddyboo Thu 06-Aug-15 02:32:21

Forgot to say regarding how much off lead depending on the weather as my father's hates the rain his normally gets either two 20 minute off lead runs or one 30/40 minute off lead run plus two short on lead walks once in the morning and again late evening (just to do its business.)

TropicalHorse Thu 06-Aug-15 04:21:57

What about a basenji? I had one when I lived in a flat in a city and she was perfect. No barking, short hair, very interesting/catlike behaviour, very beautiful. They need a fair bit of understanding and training as they are a 'primitive' breed but such rewarding companions.

Eastpoint Thu 06-Aug-15 04:52:20

You'll be able to go to Ravenscourt Park where there is a bigger dog park too, it's the other side of Shepherds Bush Road towards Chiswick. Walking by the river is good and it doesn't take long to walk down there.

BeautifulBatman Thu 06-Aug-15 05:09:02

Two 20 min runs a day would be great. Not even that much whilst they're still young - you have to be mindful they can overdo it and damage their little bodies. Oscar is adorable. I luffs him already grin

CMOTDibbler Thu 06-Aug-15 07:39:44

EGLR take everyone on their own merit, and on what the dog needs. Ring Pip up and have a chat about you and Oscar. I have two EGLR dogs smile

Working FT, but taking the dog to work with you is v different to the dog being left for long periods imo.

BoutrosBoutros Thu 06-Aug-15 08:04:36

Wormwood Scrubs is close by too - easy to walk an hour or so around there off road if you want a longer stretch. There's parking at the eastern end of the scrubs or you can jump on the 72 bus - when we lived in Shepherd's Bush ddog loved a bus trip up to the scrubs on a Sunday morning! Plus loads of other dogs to chase around too. Whippet sounds lovely, I'd love one!

stealthbanana Thu 06-Aug-15 23:25:22

Ok so you think it could work? I won't be able to go to wormwood scrubs or Ravenscourt Park every day I don't think. Maybe if I do a long walk every other day? And then just play time in the garden and on leash walks the others. So excited! I will call the rescue - we're not moving for a couple of months but will see what the options are.

BoutrosBoutros Fri 07-Aug-15 03:54:22

Sounds feasible to me. Ddog isn't s whippet but has a lazy personality and we had a great time in London! There are loads of nice places to walk when you do get time - Holland Park, Chiswick House, Gunnersbury etc (I found Hyde Park and central London parks tend to attract some idiots and a bit cramped). Plus if your dog is relaxed then just pootling about will keep them happy - we spent far too much time at the Princess Victoria just down the Uxbridge Road which is dog and child friendly and does really good food!

We moved out last year but I'm pg again so ddog probably gets less exercise than he did when we lived in zone 2 but he's pretty happy as long as there's a bit of a leg stretch. somewhere comfy to lie down and someone there to keep him company!

basildonbond Fri 07-Aug-15 08:51:43

Could you get a dog walker to take the dog out on the days you can't manage a long walk?

WienerDiva Fri 07-Aug-15 09:09:06

A whippet sounds like a great idea. Do consider an older/rescue one. All pups are pretty bonkers and need a fair amount of stimulation for while. Having said that my Daxie pup is the laziest thing around!

stealthbanana Fri 07-Aug-15 13:57:24

I will definitely consider a rescue if they'll have me. And yes to dog walker too. Hurrah!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now