Talk

Advanced search

Puppy regurgitating / being sick - please help

(10 Posts)
AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 05-Aug-15 20:05:31

Hi All,

Could do with some advice - pup is 16 weeks old and has been totally fine until this evening. She suddenly vomited / regurgitated - it was just like a mush and I was able to pick it all up with a tissue - about 2 tablespoons full. This was about 20 minutes ago.

It smelled of her food, not unpleasant.

Then about ten minutes later did about twice as much, same consistency and smell. She has now had three episodes of retching where her whole body seams to be heaving it out and a small amount of liquid vomit comes out (about a teaspoon or less each time),

She has now fallen asleep on my lap.

Nothing out of the ordinary today - although obviously she may have eaten something she shouldn't when I wasn't looking, but nothing obvious.

This is my first pet - should I call the vet? What else should I do? I'd appreciate any advice as I don't know if this is serious or not and what I should do.

daisydotandgertie Wed 05-Aug-15 20:07:25

No - no need to call the vet yet.

How long is it between when she last ate and when she vomited?

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 05-Aug-15 20:10:07

She had her dinner at about 5pm, so about two and half hours before this.

However, she tries to eat everything, so she may have eaten something non edible like paper since.

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 05-Aug-15 20:13:51

She just woke and did the whole-body retching thing again and just brought up a tiny amount of saliva.

daisydotandgertie Wed 05-Aug-15 20:17:18

Pups are often sick for no apparent reason. It's usually nothing to worry about - often it's caused simply by scoffing their food too fast and getting air in their tummies.

See how she goes for the rest of the evening. Offer her another meal at her normal time (assuming she's still on 4 meals?) and see how she reacts to that.

At this stage, there really is absolutely no need to worry. When dogs are sick, they really do retch into their boots - it's quite normal!

AnneEyhtMeyer Wed 05-Aug-15 20:19:59

Thanks Daisy, that's reassuring. As a novice pet owner the strength of the retching was alarming.

She's only on three meals, but usually has a small amount before bed, so will give her a small amount an hour before I go to bed and see how she copes.

I think I may be sleeping downstairs tonight.

daisydotandgertie Thu 06-Aug-15 07:35:43

Has she been sick again overnight? Or is all well?

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 06-Aug-15 15:38:04

All is well, thank you! No more sick, she slept well and had a small amount at breakfast and lunch, but has eaten some more just now.

Thanks so much for your help last night. As a new pet owner I was in a bit of a flap!

daisydotandgertie Thu 06-Aug-15 21:30:40

Fab. She was just being a puppy then! A bit like babies, they are v good at scaring us, and v, v good at being sick.

AnneEyhtMeyer Fri 07-Aug-15 00:13:36

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now