Talk

Advanced search

puppy won't wee or poo on walks

(9 Posts)
miserablemoo Wed 05-Aug-15 16:53:27

Hello

He is holding it in until we get back home. Any tips? He is coming on holiday with us in a couple of weeks so need him to start trying new places to do his business!

Thank you smile

Butterflowers Wed 05-Aug-15 17:09:17

Mine wouldn't at first but now he saves them up until we go out.

BertieBotts Wed 05-Aug-15 17:13:41

<totally uninformed opinion alert>

Maybe you could try making a specific noise or saying the word "wee wee" when he does wee? Then if you say that word later, maybe it will remind him "Oh! That is what they say when I wee!"

Also perhaps you could look for a place which looks/feels similar (like if he normally wees on grass next to a pavement for example) but is a new place, and lots of praise when he does it?

GemmaTeller Wed 05-Aug-15 17:16:43

My boxer is 7 and has never done a toilet when out on his lead, he just doesn't.
Even the time we took them to Southport he didn't do a toilet for 6 hours!! (then couldn't get out the car fast enough when we pulled back in our road)

miserablemoo Mon 10-Aug-15 00:17:11

Thank you. He has done a couple of wees when out so gave loads of praise. I say wee wee or poo poo and at home he knows what he has to do. But we have been out and I can tell he is bursting but just won't go. It will take time I suppose. He gets distracted when out and about.

CordeliaFoxx Mon 10-Aug-15 00:29:04

Mine were like that, the holiday will probably break it as he cant hold it till he gets home, just continue with lots of praise/treats when it happens while you're out.

basildonbond Mon 10-Aug-15 07:31:52

Ours was like this at first - would only wee or poo on our grass in our garden ...

Gradually as walks got longer he couldn't hold it in any more so realised that the sky didn't fall in if you wee'd on strange grass confused

He still won't wee or poo on the lead so holidays are interesting... It's amazing how long he can hold it in for ...

ChuffMuffin Wed 12-Aug-15 12:57:38

My 9 month old GSD x wouldn't at all either when she was younger, if we were on a walk shed hold it and drag me desperately all the way back to the house to go in the back garden!. So what I started doing was getting her up first thing, harness on and taking her straight out for a walk. She toilets like absolute clockwork so she didn't really have much choice but to go outside. I made a huge fuss of her for going on the walk, and now she's fine.. as long as it's grass! smile.

JacD0 Wed 12-Aug-15 13:38:36

My 11 month old has just started doing his business on walkshmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now