Talk

Advanced search

Whippet scars easily

(6 Posts)
Whippetwhopper Wed 05-Aug-15 15:33:07

Ours in nine months old and seems to mark easily due to their thin fur.

She's got scars from playing with other dogs and a mark on her nose from crashing heads with dds braces shock I'm sick of the comments and looks as though I'm some mean dog beater sad !

CMOTDibbler Wed 05-Aug-15 15:38:37

My very fine coated lurcher is always picking up scrapes which are very visible. Nothing to be done really, its better in winter when he's always wearing a coat

Whippetwhopper Wed 05-Aug-15 16:10:13

Do you get comments?
I'm feeling particularly sensitive as someone commented at a day care assessment about the mark and then she shot across room scared when someone dropped something and it made a loud noise! (usually she doesn't do that but strange new place and I had to leave her)

CMOTDibbler Wed 05-Aug-15 17:03:30

Sometimes, but I just say that its very normal for fine coated sighthounds.

You can see here how fine coated he is - obv the cat and ddog2 don't suffer in the same way!

SmartAlecMetalGit Wed 05-Aug-15 17:34:20

One of mine has a very noticeable scar on his side (youngest whippet grazed him with a tooth whilst they were playing) and the oldest has a slightly tatty ear (where the middle one nipped it) but on the whole they've remained pretty unscathed so far.

I don't let mine play with other dogs though, too much risk of accidents or things getting out of hand. The one time I let the eldest run loose with a lurcher when he was young he ended up with a hole in his face hmm Completely accidental on the part of the other dog but high speeds + waving their teeth around is risky if they're not used to each other. My three all know each other inside out and respect each others' cues very well so they run together with no problems. The only time there have been any (very minor) injuries is when one has been a puppy and still learning the ropes.

Lokibuddyboo Thu 06-Aug-15 03:48:20

Whippets seem to scar easily due to thin fur coverage which also makes marks noticeable as well.
My sisters whippet has loads of small scars and marks as he likes to play rough and tends to run into things.
My father's also has one or two from playing with his littermate (my sisters dog).
If someone comments just say it's a whippet thing due to thin fur coverage and don't worry about what others think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now