Talk

Advanced search

puppy and baby?

(4 Posts)
firstbabyyeh Tue 04-Aug-15 21:20:03

Hi ladies,

My lab will be a year old when our first baby arrives (hopefully!) He's lovely but such a handful despite training...worried we'll struggle with the baby / puppy combo. I'm hoping he'll grow up a bit this year. Anyone have advice or experience please?

firstbabyyeh Tue 04-Aug-15 21:21:09

Ps he's never aggressive just boisterous and attention seeking

StarsInTheNightSky Wed 05-Aug-15 07:33:29

Congratulations! It can be hetic but it's doable ime. A baby sling was a lifesaver for us, I could put DS in it around the house, out on walks, when playing with the dogs and he could snooze whenever he wanted whilst being close for me to supervise and enabling me to get on with things. We started off with a Babasling which was perfect when he was newborn, then went onto a mei tai at three months and then onto a woven wrap when he was about eight months old. He's a toddler now and he still regularly goes on my back in his woven wrap. I ended up with an emergency c section as DS came nearly six weeks early (he was as fine as if he was full term, absolutely no problems) but I had an elective section booked anyway. I took arnica starting immediately out of theatre and that seemed to really help me get back on my feet fast, I was driving again within five days, and didn't need any pain killers at any point, not even in hospital, so if you do have a section it isn't always bad news.

I have severe back problems (and DS has always been huge for his age) but if you get the wraps adjusted to suit you (takes about 30 seconds wiggling each time) I never had a problem carrying him, and he adores being carried. DS was the kind of baby who would not be put down even for a second, so a sling was a lifesaver. It also means that your dog gets used to the fact that when you play with him, give him attention etc, your baby is there too, joining in, so it helps to build a positive association with you baby for your dog. Do make sure you set aside some time just old for pup too though.

That's about all I can think of at the moment (it's the middle of the night where we are) but will!add more if I remember anything.

StarsInTheNightSky Wed 05-Aug-15 07:35:18

Oh, some babies hate slings, but it's probably worth a go if you fancy it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now