Talk

Advanced search

egg shaped lump on top of leg?

(12 Posts)
DopeyDawg Tue 04-Aug-15 17:30:48

have 5 year old basset re homed from family (now moved away)

she is healthy. we have not yet arranged insurance.

I have noticed an egg shaped lump at the top of her back leg.

She was obese and it has revealed itself as she has lost fat (she was very big). it is about the size of a small egg

it doesn't worry her but obviously she needs the vet.
do I insure quickly or go ask vet about potential costs (but then I couldn't insure, could I?)

TheoriginalLEM Tue 04-Aug-15 18:38:13

Get her insured as quickly as you can is my advice. Although whether or not you would be covered for this condition would very much depend on what it is.

Whereabouts is the lump? is it behind the leg or on the side?

DopeyDawg Tue 04-Aug-15 21:53:30

On the outside top bit of her hind leg curve.
It's soft and she will happily let me palpate it.
It doesn't seem 'attached' to her leg but is moveable with her (floppy extra) Basset skin.

I had a spaniel before who had some pretty impressive benign 'fatty lumps' and I think it could be that, just big, but it seems to be getting bigger.

I'd like to ask the Vet but would that rule out the insurance covering it as a pre-existing condition?

Lokibuddyboo Wed 05-Aug-15 02:02:02

Yes I think so if it's on his records but I'm not 100% sure maybe one of the regular posters will answer you as I know one or two are actual vets.

Tippytappytoes Wed 05-Aug-15 09:58:21

Sounds like a fatty lump. Some dogs (my own included - he has ALOT) are prone to them and they are mostly harmless - although I've had to get some removed because where they were growing they would eventually interfer with mobility.

Ridingthegravytrain Wed 05-Aug-15 10:03:53

If you insure now you need to wait a few weeks before vet as they only cover for accidents at first (to stop people doing what you want to do grin)

Then when vet asks when you saw it (which will be written in he records) you'd need to say the day before or something!

Sounds like a lipoma (fatty lump) a needle biopsy should only cost about £40

TheoriginalLEM Wed 05-Aug-15 10:06:28

It isn't something i would leave, you are most probably right, it does sound like a fatty lump but there are other more sinister things it could be (albeit unlikely from what you say). There are lymph nodes that live in that area, but tend to be under the skin rather than on it. It could be an infection? It will considered a pre-existing condition if its seen before you are insured.

Now, i could be completely talking out of my arse here but i am pretty sure our practice does an initial free four weeks insurance with pet plan (one of the more expensive companies imo though) that does provide instant cover, however this does require an examination where no abnormalities are found. You could take your chances and take the dog in for a general health check and hope the vet doesn't notice the lump, if they don't notice they can't record it, then you can take the dog back next week and say that you have noticed it. Depends how noticable it is. You would of course need to find a practice that offers this.

TheoriginalLEM Wed 05-Aug-15 10:09:52

The vet should also be able to tell you pretty much just by having a feel if it is a lipoma that can be left alone, or whether it needs further investigation. In that instance the cost will be minimal anyway and probably not worth claiming for as it will often rule out the insurers paying out for that condition in the first place and fatty lumps have a habit of popping up everybloodywhere!

TheoriginalLEM Wed 05-Aug-15 10:14:15

*in the future!! not in the first place hmm

DopeyDawg Wed 05-Aug-15 15:21:31

Spoke to trustworthy vet on an anonymous basis.
Vet said sounded like a cyst due to small dimple in middle.
IF saw such a lump on a dog it would need removed and would be in region of £120/150 (+histology if needed).
did say, in a fat dog losing weight, it might not be noticed just yet...

DopeyDawg Wed 05-Aug-15 15:22:42

so, can anyone recommend insurers, please?

picked up a VETSURE leaflet at vets, but not sure which others might be good?

TheoriginalLEM Wed 05-Aug-15 15:43:13

i don't know specific insurers. i know you can "go compare". What you need to look out for is that they provide lifetime cover. One that will cover a condition for the life of the dog. not up to a certain amount or a year which many do. With an estimate of £120 idnot bother with insurance as the excess is likely to at least half and will affect later claims

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now