Talk

Advanced search

Getting a puppy was the best thing I've ever done.

(25 Posts)
TheOnlyReality Tue 04-Aug-15 14:29:14

She is now seven months old and even though she has chewed my favourite shoes, soiled my cream carpets, wakes up at 6.30 demanding attention even on a Sunday and has cost me a small fortune, my life wouldn't be the same without her and we all love her completely.

I've never owned a dog before, let alone a puppy and I was a bit put off by all the horror stories but honestly, the puppy days were worth it and she's maturing into a snuggly, playful pocket of fun.

Just wanted to share a bit of joy.

kelda Tue 04-Aug-15 14:35:03

Lovely to hear. We are getting a puppy next monday and I am relieved we don't have cream carpets!

kelda Tue 04-Aug-15 14:35:49

Also my first ever dog and I am terrified as well as excited!

TheOnlyReality Tue 04-Aug-15 14:46:26

Aww good luck! What sort of puppy are you getting?

QueenieBaxter Tue 04-Aug-15 15:06:34

Lovely to hear that! We are getting our first puppy in 3 weeks and everyone has recoiled in horror when I have told them! We are very excited!

insanityscatching Tue 04-Aug-15 19:53:00

Lovely to read. Eric our first ever dog is now 18 months old and he is loved,he has brought so much joy with him. Yes he can be a pest,he steals my slippers, he trips me up, he sits on me when I should be doing something productive but we laugh everyday at his antics and no one is ever as happy to see me even if I've only been gone 10 minutes.

Dieu Tue 04-Aug-15 20:20:46

I have now done 3 weeks of puppy ownership and am finding it fucking purgatory. Have had 3 (human!) babies and loved the newborn phase, but this is way harder ... without a doubt. He is gorgeous and we love him to bits, but this will be my first and last pup.
Sorry to hijack your lovely thread with my negativity, TheOnlyReality!

insanityscatching Tue 04-Aug-15 20:36:22

Dieu it gets so much easier. I have 5dc, two with autism and still found Eric as a puppy much harder. Now he's just lovely but there have been many times on the way to now I wondered what I had done.

JodieMacdonald31 Tue 04-Aug-15 20:38:51

Mines is 2 and half now, like my 2nd child smile I didn't feel like my house was a home before I got him

lighteningirl Tue 04-Aug-15 20:39:51

My puppy is now 5 months old and keeping us up teething which is beyond distressing at least you can help teething babies. He is the most adorable beloved addition to our family and I cannot imagine life without him thank you for sharing smile

TheRealNightsWatch Tue 04-Aug-15 20:42:14

It really is the best thing ever having a dog. I feel like our pup was the icing on our little family cake too.

He can be a royal pain in the arse but the joy he gives us completely outweighs the negative points.

Dieu Tue 04-Aug-15 20:43:01

Thanks Insanity smile

JodieMacdonald31 Tue 04-Aug-15 20:44:30

lighteningirl They sell bones & balls you soak in water & freeze, they're mnt for the hot weather but work brill for teething puppies and only about a £5

TheRealNightsWatch Tue 04-Aug-15 20:44:32

What kind of puppy have you got TheOnly? It looks gorgeous and fluffy. smile

insanityscatching Tue 04-Aug-15 20:48:03

Carrots in the freezer or wet flannels frozen for puppy to chew on can help with teething.

lighteningirl Tue 04-Aug-15 20:49:39

He is a very small chihuahua jack Russell cross he doesn't go near any hard toys but thank you for the tip I might try again. I have tried freezing lumps of carrot and I hold ice cubes in my hand for him to chew during the day but it's at night he gets distressed

Mimigolightly Tue 04-Aug-15 20:52:22

OMG he is gorgeous! I've had dogs for most of my life but have been without one for almost 5 years now. I really miss them, even when they're teething.

lighteningirl Tue 04-Aug-15 20:52:29

Ooh insanity the flannel idea is good not sure how well that will go down with dh at 2 in the morning tho

JodieMacdonald31 Tue 04-Aug-15 21:22:52

Don't want to sound negative. But.... If you start giving the pup human things, flannel ect, they might start destroying your things that are like those thing you gave it

TheOnlyReality Tue 04-Aug-15 22:44:56

Mine is a jack russel chihuahua cross too! She's tiny, not even 2kg.

Sossidge Wed 05-Aug-15 01:04:41

Ice cubes and a whole raw cabbage for teething! We also used baby teething gel but I wouldn't recommend it since its for human use. Also, let them ravage your recycling- boxes, egg cartons, plastic bottles. Ours did, and now doesn't want them, she just needed to sink her teeth into stuff in her puppyhood. Which I miss dearly, even though she's still fucking insane, and beloved.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Wed 05-Aug-15 01:10:33

Oooooh this thread is so dangerous! I want a dog and my kids are DESPERATE for one but our circs just won't allow one right now. DH is also against it because he is a bit lazy and self indulgent at times and doesn't want to add any more "complications" as he calls them to our lives. We might be making a few changes next year which might make it possible though.

Lighteningirl that is one of the cutest dogs I have ever seen smile

Adarajames Wed 05-Aug-15 01:13:50

I'm desperate for a puppy, lost my old girl 5 weeks ago, and my younger dog isn't doing well as an only dog, so we'd both love a puppy, but just can't afford it sad

Lokibuddyboo Wed 05-Aug-15 01:45:05

Lighteningirl your pup reminds me of my ddog when he was a tiny pup, he too is a Chihuahua cross Jack Russell here's a pic of him now he was 2 last week.
I loved the puppy stage it's nice to watch them grow each week.
Mine loved a really small fleece tug rope when he was teething.

kelda Wed 05-Aug-15 08:07:44

We are getting a cocker spaniel smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now