Talk

Advanced search

How can I get my puppy to have a lie in??

(7 Posts)
FTS123 Fri 31-Jul-15 23:04:09

My 5 month old lab gets up earlier than the DC's....we're talking 5am. It really hurts!! How can I get him to have s lie in? He sleeps in a crate which is soon to be too big. We block out the sun with a blanket, he is taken out last thing at night to do his business. Please advise!!

Mrsderekshepard Fri 31-Jul-15 23:13:51

They are like babies does he wake up because he needs a wee?

StarsInTheNightSky Sat 01-Aug-15 07:01:13

We've never crated our dogs, they sleep at the bottom of our bed on a mattress and they would happily lie in until around 8am, if I let them. Five months is still very young, as mrsderek said, he probably needs a wee, or some company, you might find that he sleeps in more as he gets older. Does he go back to be after a wee or cuddle?

Cheerfulmarybrown Sat 01-Aug-15 12:08:43

Feed him later

insanityscatching Sat 01-Aug-15 14:45:27

I think they just have to get older. I used to get up at 6am take Eric out to pee and then he'd potter about. Now if I get up at 6am he looks at me in disgust and goes straight back to sleep grin At weekends he sleeps until somebody gets up which could be anywhere between 8.30 and 9.30. Mind you he didn't sleep much as a pup but dozes a lot between walks now as he's got older (18 months).

KiwiJude Sun 02-Aug-15 07:59:17

I too think it will pass as he gets older FTS. DDog #2, 13 month old boxer, has started to recognise weekends and happily lounges in bed until 7-7.30ish, whereas normally we are up at 6.20 during the week. DDog #1 was a real bed bug, he hated mornings and would cover his eyes with his paws when the lights went on in the morning smile

FTS123 Sun 02-Aug-15 14:42:32

Thanks all, he doesn't seem to need to wee any more so we've started ignoring him and he goes back to sleep!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now