Talk

Advanced search

WWYD....rehoming another dog

(6 Posts)
whippy33 Thu 30-Jul-15 20:53:13

Ive been considering a dog for a long time as I think mine needs a playmate. I have searched long and hard for the 'right' dog. I found one that fitted the bill....character, breed, age etc. I was home checked and all was well. I then took my current dog to visit this one. They both got on well and I really liked the dog, he seemed such a brilliant companion to have. However, I didn't get that same feeling I did when I first met my other dog. I don't know if that bond is there or how it will develop as I knew straightaway with my other dog that it was the right dog for me. Do I take this on a trial and see how it develops? Do I home it and know that over time I will grow to love it or do I pass? I was so anxious on the way home wondering what is the right thing to do.

pigsDOfly Thu 30-Jul-15 21:01:19

Could you go back for another visit.

A bond can take time but only you know if this dog is right for you.

If your Ddog gets on well with the new dog then maybe you should take your cue from him/her.

whippy33 Thu 30-Jul-15 21:26:55

I could re visit. The kennels have offered a home trial if I want to. I didn't know if i was expecting too much as I had that instant attachment with my other dog or if I was tempting fate in hoping it will develop over time.

I am thinking that fact that I have spent all afternoon and evening pondering makes me think its possibly the right dog or else Id not even be bothered about considering him....

StarsInTheNightSky Thu 30-Jul-15 21:50:45

I definitely think bonds can develop over time. We adopted ddog1 as she was about to be pts, it wasn't love at first sight, but we had experience of her breed and understood her, and knew we could take her on. I just couldn't leave her to die even though she was going to be a bit of a handful (she'd put five different behaviorists in hospital needing stitches).

Fast forward and she is the most amazing, gentle, loyal, loving dog. She is my constant shadow, so many times she has protected and defended me (we're not in the UK, where we are there are plenty of predators) I have had dogs all of my life but I've never had as strong a bond as with her. Ddogs2 and 3 I adore, and felt that I bonded with instantly, but if I'm honest the bond isn't as deep. She has never shown an ounce of aggression towards us but she turns into a demon if she feels that we're threatened.

Only you will know what's right, bug sometimes the best bonds take time.

whippy33 Thu 30-Jul-15 22:43:05

Thank you for your advice. I will take time to think about my next move to make sure its the right one for all of us!

mrslaughan Fri 31-Jul-15 10:36:37

I think bonds can take a while to develope, but in your situation I wouldn't worry so much about my bond with the new dog - he is going to have a better life....my main concern would be that the resident dog was happy with him, and that they got on and bonded. I think that can be a far harder thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now