Talk

Advanced search

Is it the right decision?

(8 Posts)
Ineedtimeoff Wed 29-Jul-15 22:03:50

I know it is the right decision but I guess I just need a bit of reassurance and to talk it out.

My lovely dog is 10 years old. She has various illnesses including a degenerative eye condition that means she is going blind and she has just been diagnosed with spondylosis which means she will be on pain killers for the rest of her life.

Last week her tooth snapped off. Following from this they carried out test and the results have shown that she has bone cancer in her jaw. Treatment would be an operation to remove as much cancer as possible which would mean a large part of her jaw. Then chemo.

I have said no to this treatment. So, from now on I guess it's palliative care. My reasons for saying no are because it's such a huge and painful operation that may or may not be successful then followed by painful chemo. It may add years to her life but at what cost? I think those extra years will be characterised by pain and discomfort.

What would you do for your dog? Would you go for the treatment?

OllyBJolly Wed 29-Jul-15 22:08:10

Very hard question. I'd probably do the same as you but it would break my heart.

I have a 13 year old who thankfully is not suffering at the moment but starting to get some health issues. I hope I'm brave enough when the time comes to make the right decision.

imabusybee Wed 29-Jul-15 22:18:13

Gosh removing a large part of her jaw sounds very extreme and life altering for jet - I'm not sure I would opt in either to be honest. What's the vet said about her chances?

mrslaughan Wed 29-Jul-15 23:11:25

I wouldn't do the treatment. I couldn't put my best friend through it knowing that they can't understand and rationalise the side effects.
I would be opting for palatine care for as long as they are happy.

Hth - and it's a bloody awful situation you are in.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 30-Jul-15 08:11:44

I am a vet and having have patients have the hemimandibulectomy I am very certain that this is a procedure I would never put one of my own pets through. Just because we can doesn't mean we should.

moosemama Thu 30-Jul-15 18:06:57

My Soft Coated Wheaten Girl had slow growing cancer in her jaw and the only treatment option was hemimandibulectomy. She was 12 and I couldn't/wouldn't put her through it.

We chose to do palliative care and she was with us for another two years and quite happy in herself. We said goodbye just short of her 14th birthday.

It's a horrible position to be in, having to make these sorts of decisions, but for what it's worth, I think you've made the right choice. flowers

Ineedtimeoff Thu 30-Jul-15 22:34:12

Thank you everyone.
I'm not really sure what the prognosis is. I think she has a fair amount of time left with us. My understanding is that this type of bone cancer doesn't tend to spread very fast and the vet has said there are a few other treatment options that won't cure her but can make her more comfortable and perhaps slow the spread down.

I know it's the right decision. However, there is a small part of me that thinks that perhaps we should be fighting more for her life but I will live with that.

Right now she is cuddled up next to me having a snooze. We've got many more moments like this together I'm sure.

Thank you all for your advice flowers

DevaDiva Thu 30-Jul-15 22:45:13

You're doing the right thing. I dread the day we have to make this toe of decision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now