Talk

Advanced search

Breathing really fast

(4 Posts)
basildonbond Wed 29-Jul-15 07:10:07

Ddog had an odd episode last night which has got me worried

He's a 2 year old Toller who was diagnosed with mild hip dysplasia on one side just after his first birthday but shows no signs of having a problem on a day to day basis. He's very active - loves running, swimming, playing fetch, bouncing around with the dc and his doggy friends. He's a happy-go-lucky character who has an almost permanently cheerful expression.

We've just been on holiday where he had a great time charging about on the beach. He's seemed a bit tired since we've got home - not when we're out but he's been a bit quieter and sleeping a bit more than usual. I thought he was just catching up after a hectic week.

Yesterday he had a good walk and swim in the morning and a couple of play sessions in the garden. In the evening I took him out for a slightly shorter walk than normal. He was zipping around as usual but on the way home suddenly lay down on the path. I encouraged him up and he walked home with no problems but when we got home he couldn't settle. He kept changing position and was breathing really fast - shallow panting but he wasn't at all hot. Eventually he came and sat on me on the sofa and finally went to sleep

Any ideas what might have been going on? Obviously if he's like it again today I'll take him to the vet

daisydotandgertie Wed 29-Jul-15 07:20:56

I'd say he was in pain somewhere - not settling and shallow panting is a common indicator in this house.

GreyAndGoldInTheMeadow Wed 29-Jul-15 07:43:12

I'd say it sounds like he's in pain. Probably over done it, keep him calm and on lead walks only for the next few days. If he's still fast breathing and unsettled today a trip to the vets as you say.

basildonbond Wed 29-Jul-15 08:31:41

Thank you

Poor boy sad

I'll make sure he has a quiet few days and see how he goes, unless he gets obviously worse

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now