Talk

Advanced search

Sick after eating cat poo

(5 Posts)
aleto Sun 26-Jul-15 20:56:37

Ddog (a 13 month old Labrador) ate some cat poo while offlead this afternoon. Within half an hour he started vomiting. He has been sick 4 or 5 times and has had one episode of diarrhea. Is this a normal reaction to eating cat poo? He is not normally a poo eater but this was obviously giving off a lovely aroma!

marlene4boycie Sun 26-Jul-15 22:12:11

Hi, I'm not sure, but I would advise to keep an eye on the vomiting and poo to make sure it doesn't have any blood in it. My dog died from something called HGE this week, which starts with vomiting and diahorrea - and then with blood in it. They become very quickly dehydrated with it, and that's where the danger lies. I only warn you because I had no idea that there was something like this, but the vet said that it was likely that they had eaten something (my other dog has been in the vets since Sunday with complications from it). On the other hand, my two always have their noses in something, and for one of my dogs poo is quite the delicacy!

pigsDOfly Sun 26-Jul-15 23:42:06

This doesn't sound right to me Aleto. When I got my dog I had two cats and because they were elderly we had litter trays for them.

When either of the cats pooed it was a race with my dog as to whether she or I got to the litter tray first. Often she got there first, but even when she was a small puppy she never had any ill effect from it; and likewise if she ate their food.

If the v & d continues overnight I'd definitely be at the vet first thing.

aleto Mon 27-Jul-15 11:13:33

Thank you for your advice and I'm very sorry for your loss Marlene. Ddog seems better this morning so we're just going to keep an eye on him and give him bland food.

marlene4boycie Mon 27-Jul-15 12:35:58

That's good news smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now