Talk

Advanced search

Itchy pup.

(9 Posts)
BirdsOfFoo Sun 26-Jul-15 16:36:34

We bought a jrt pup home Thursday Evening.
8 weeks old, has settled well and seems happy and content but she's itchy. Not excessively but noticable iyswim?
No sign of fleas that I can see, wormed up to date.
I have No reason to think that she wasn't well looked after by her breeder. I saw parents and living conditions.

booked in for vet later this week but interested to see if anyone has any ideas?

WeAllHaveWings Sun 26-Jul-15 20:00:18

Is she wearing a collar? our lab is over two and still scratches when wearing a collar so we take off when in the house.

BirdsOfFoo Sun 26-Jul-15 20:38:20

Yes but not always and she scratches regardless.

she's also been sick twice in the last few hours.

Still the same personality wise... do I need to be worried?

Worse than having kids this is!hmm

tornbluestocking Sun 26-Jul-15 22:40:52

Our 10 year old lab has been very itchy for the past few weeks so we took her to the vet and he thinks it's an allergy (possibly hay fever as the pollen count is very high and he's seen a lot of dogs recently with similar symptons). He's prescribed anti-histamines and they seem to be helping. Not sure this would explain the vomiting though but the two may be unrelated. Hope she recovers quickly!

GraysAnalogy Sun 26-Jul-15 22:44:04

I'm just gunna copy and paste this what I posted in another thread

my adopted dog has absolutely terrible skin conditions and it took a lot of trial and error to get things right. we saw him hurting himself, his skin would be red raw and bleeding.

We changed diet, mediated shampoos, avoided grass, removed irritants from the home like air freshners and things like that. Nothing worked.

He's now steroids long term (which will eventually make him ill) whilst we wait for the wonder drug Apoquel. I don't like him being on steroids but otherwise his life is a misery and I can't see him live like that.

I would go to your vet and see what they say.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 26-Jul-15 22:44:20

You can also try speaking to the breeder, any reputable breeder will give you support and advice regarding their pups. Did you get introductory pet insurance from the breeder?

BirdsOfFoo Sun 26-Jul-15 23:15:03

She's very very lively tonight so I think the sick is unrelated, possibly something she ate out of ds's room. I'd get sick in there wink

Allergies did cross my mind, she's had a bath today bit made No difference.
Will. wait and see what the vet says , just feel Sorry first her when she's pounding across the floor and then has the urge to itch but doesn't want to stop running so tries to did both hmm

GraysAnalogy Sun 26-Jul-15 23:20:39

Oh I know the run and itch all too well!

Baths didn't make a difference to us either Birds. We had Malaseb to try and help it but it didn't work.

We adopted our lad a few months ago, he was in a bad state really. Night one and the itching was absolutely constant. He was downstairs and I could hear his feet thumping where he was itching. Went downstairs and he was covered in blood. Had to bring him up, cleaned and dressed some of the wounds (good job I have a good first aid cupboard) and I itched his belly until he fell asleep. We were up every hour with him it was worse than a new born. Only relief he gets (and us) is when he's on steroids. Hopefully yours will be much simpler!

Do you use any strong scents in your home, think of things like shake and vac, air fresheners and washing powder. Also have you let her on grass?

nellieellie Mon 27-Jul-15 00:29:25

It's difficult to identify allergies as could be so many things. My pup itched and scratched until I swapped him to raw food. I have come across many people since who have found the same with long term skin problems resolving after switching to raw. Chicken and grains are common diet intolerances, and chicken tends to be in most kibble, but it could be environmental. Worth swapping any washing powder to a gentle natural non biological, not using chemical cleaners on the floor, using ceramic not plastic water and food bowls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now