Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what do you feed your pup?

(13 Posts)
PhilomenaSkunk Tue 21-Jul-15 07:40:27

dpup is 3 months and on james well beloved - mix of wet and dry. I was planning to start slowly weaning her into dry in the day with a wet punch with some dry for tea. my dog walker was horrified and said she is too young for dry food.... I'm confused. if this is correct, what kind of age is primarily dry OK?

YouBastardSockBalls Tue 21-Jul-15 07:44:14

I breed collies. My puppies have dry food from around 3-4 weeks. It's much better for them.

You can get small bite stuff or damp it down if you want to, but at 3 months you shouldn't need to.

I start them on Beta puppy small bite, which they love, then move them onto CSJ Little Champ at around 4 months.

Hope this helps smile

PhilomenaSkunk Tue 21-Jul-15 07:52:56

thanks, that's really helpful. that's what I thought and I couldn't fine anything to the contrary inline but she was SO shocked at what I said that I thought I must have got it wrong! I'll just continue as planned then.

it's like having a new baby - advice comes at you from all angles and just leaves you feeling confused!

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 21-Jul-15 08:05:02

DDog was on dry food when we brought him home at 8 weeks (Burns Puppy). Hasn't done him any harm at all!

TwistAndShout Tue 21-Jul-15 08:16:27

Our whippet puppy is on Millie's wolfheart dry food and has been from 8 weeks. I add a bit of warm water to soften it as they don't do a specific puppy food- he's doing well on it.

StarsInTheNightSky Tue 21-Jul-15 08:48:12

Our eleven months old rescue pup is on a raw diet, as are our two adult dogs.

negrilbaby Tue 21-Jul-15 22:20:49

My 3 month old standard poodle is on raw. Nutriment puppy formula. I buy it online and it arrives frozen. He loves it and is really thriving. His breeder had him on chicken and tripe mince but I couldn't bear the smell. The nutriment doesn't smell too bad and the other great benefit is that his poos smell much less offensive than dogs on other prepared dog food.

WeAllHaveWings Tue 21-Jul-15 22:47:01

Our lab was on dry when we got him at 12 weeks, we switched to Millies wolfheart (they don't do a puppy variety because their normal food is of the highest quality so suitable for pups too).

Never had to wet any dry food.

JamAndClottedCream Wed 22-Jul-15 00:49:21

Our Yorkie is on James Wellbeloved. We got her at 8 weeks older and her breeder had been feeding her Bakers!! shockhmm

MaitlandGirl Wed 22-Jul-15 05:54:58

My 6yr old papillon is on Applaws small breed dry food (with the occasional bowl of plain boiled rice or plain Gluten Free pasta.

Not sure what our new pap puppy is currently fed (only 6weeks old) but he'll be on Gluten Free dry food when we settle him in.

Angelface5 Wed 22-Jul-15 08:26:13

My 6 month old pup is on raw diet.
Brilliant to fed,dog loves it,best for health,and cheaper for your pocket
X

EdwinaLIzzard Wed 22-Jul-15 09:34:46

Another Millie's fan here!

My cocker has been on Millies Wolfheart since he was a pup and is thriving, I keep strictly to the guidelines in terms of volume to feed and he is a perfect weight with a lovely glossy coat and good teeth.

I do supplement with some raw chicken which he loves especially frozen wings in the hot weather! Mixing raw and Millies is absolutely fine according their website, because if the high protein content.

snala Wed 22-Jul-15 10:16:12

I feed both mine on canagan. It's grain free, very similar to Millie's/ Eden.
Suitable for all ages, I get the small breed size as I have a miniature pinscher. They thrive, lovely shiney coats, good teeth, small poo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now