Talk

Advanced search

Will I be crazy dog lady??

(12 Posts)
urbandream Fri 17-Jul-15 11:03:21

We have just got a gorgeous, adorable new dog, she is 1 and is amazing. We are going away in a week and naturally doggy is coming too - the problem is she won't yet walk on the lead, she takes a few steps and then just stops - we are working on it but at the moment end up going a few steps and carrying her. The rescue raised this with us and recommended a dog pushchair until she gets her confidence - are they daft? are they cruel? I really want her to get lots of lovely fresh sea air (she had a rough start) and she seems to like walking a little way but she is too heavy to carry far

LimeJellyHead Fri 17-Jul-15 11:06:41

What's she like off lead? Does she still only go so far? I'm thinking if it is the lead that is putting her off, get a skinny extending lead that she will hardly notice. But if it is the great outdoors that scares her then a dog cart/pushchair could help her safely get used to being out, yes. Depends what her issue is really.

Congrats, by the way smile

urbandream Fri 17-Jul-15 11:43:11

She is unpredictable, she either sits and refuses to move or runs off - she has a collar and normal lead, a harness, an extendable lead and it makes no difference. I think it's a mixture of things, largely that she has never walked on a lead (or been beyond a shed and yard) and everything is a bit overwhelming for her - she will get used to it all, so only a temporary solution. She is just so lovely and excited by all the new experiences

tinymeteor Fri 17-Jul-15 11:50:34

Doggy pushchair does sound a bit bonkers, yes! And carrying her isn't sustainable so you don't want it to be a habit.

Why not think of it less as taking her for a walk and more as taking her out. Emphasise the social side, not the mileage. Maybe drive to the beach, or a dog friendly cafe, and just sit somewhere she can watch the world go by with you. She'll get some new sights and sounds and hopefully get her courage up. I bet after a while she'll decide sitting in one place is boring and want to walk.

urbandream Fri 17-Jul-15 11:54:25

You might be right, just trying to balance keeping kids entertained with making sure my lovely doggy is happy - we still have a week and my husband is working on getting her used to things

tinymeteor Fri 17-Jul-15 11:57:18

I sympathise, an itinerary that suits both dog and kids is not easy! Good luck, sounds like she has a lovely new home. What kind of dog is she?

urbandream Fri 17-Jul-15 12:01:09

Well the original 'owner' said she is a jack russel pug cross, but looking at her face and back legs pretty sure she has some staffy in her too - so a bit of a mixture, she has the most lovely nature and loves cuddles which is just what we wanted

Backforthis Fri 17-Jul-15 12:08:55

I just googled dog pushchair. Who knew!

I'd worry that the pushchair might make her stressed and anxious. Have you got a long line you could connect to her harness? Something that will fall slack on the ground behind her and doesn't give the feedback of being on a lead if you know what I mean? You can get ridiculously long ones on Amazon. I'd try going to a quiet beach and taking a rug or camping chairs to sit on. Let her explore around you (or not) as she wants.

tinymeteor Fri 17-Jul-15 12:16:01

Sounds lovely grin

nellieellie Fri 17-Jul-15 12:31:42

Can you practise walking her on lead somewhere she feels OK, eg at home, in garden? Use treats and a clicker. When she is at your side click and treat. Start off with just maybe 3 or 4 steps before clicking and treating. Choose a treat that she really loves.

tabulahrasa Fri 17-Jul-15 13:25:56

I'd just not plan on walking far...as in go sit by the sea with her, the DC can run about and play and she can sit and get used to it all.

aginghippy Fri 17-Jul-15 18:46:24

My ddog was a bit like this when we first got her. When she would sit down and not go any further, we used to say she was on strike.

As above, lots of praise and treats for any walking on lead at all, even a few steps. IME carrying was not the answer, she found that scary too.

Another thing that worked for us, if I was out with dp, or dp and dc. When she sat down, I would stay with her holding the lead and dp and dc would carry on walking and call her. Eventually, she would start walking to catch up, again getting lots of praise and treats for any walking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now