Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone tell what kind of dog this puppy might be?

(32 Posts)
abearcalledpaddington Thu 16-Jul-15 21:20:25

The rescue centre just said hes a mongrel, which he probably is but i was just wondering. Does it really matter? I have a labrador and all the books i have for her are lab specific for training etc.

As long as he gets plenty of exercise and i train him it will be fine wont it?
Also just curious because of size.

I am so excited grin

Asleeponasunbeam Thu 16-Jul-15 21:25:08

I can tell it's an extremely cute one!

Hoppinggreen Thu 16-Jul-15 21:25:30

No idea but very cute

OftheTwilighttheDarkness Thu 16-Jul-15 21:26:36

No idea, but he is lovely.

UnGoogleable Thu 16-Jul-15 21:32:46

Oh hes gorgeous. I think he will be big!

imabusybee Thu 16-Jul-15 22:05:03

Hints of GSD & beagle to me!

dotdotdotmustdash Thu 16-Jul-15 22:09:01

He's a colliterriobeaglador, or at least a cross of one :-) Lovely.

littlepeas Thu 16-Jul-15 22:17:24

The first breed that came to mind for me was GSD - around the eyes/nose.

MostAmused Thu 16-Jul-15 22:24:25

Boxer X GSD? maybe? Looks adorable anyway. Think your training books should be just fine. Labs are particularly food motivated though so maybe your dog will have a different motivator.

UnGoogleable Fri 17-Jul-15 07:45:26

I think there's a bit of GSD in there too, or Belgian shepherd perhaps, because of his colouring. His feet look quite dainty though, my GSD had big chunky paws when he was little.

I agree that as long as you're committed to his training, he will be fine. As Most said, Labs are usually all about food, whereas your little guy might work for toys instead. Try it out with a ball and a treat. My GSD would choose ball every time.

What is he called? He's adorable.

JointheJoyride Fri 17-Jul-15 08:39:57

German shepher and collie in the mix in my opinion. He's beautiful!

tattychicken Fri 17-Jul-15 08:42:29

Collie/lab/gsd? Though hard to judge the size, and as a pp said, his paws aren't as big as you would think for those breeds. How old is he?

Stingslikeabee Fri 17-Jul-15 08:48:21

shock I want him, he's gorgeous. Definitely a hint of gsd in him

abearcalledpaddington Fri 17-Jul-15 08:55:04

Hes only 8 weeks!

He is called Duke at the moment.I think i might keep it, i would never have thought of that name but i think it suits him and it sounds ok with Kiki (other dog)

The kids want to call him Garrick Bobby Ferguson or Old Gregg! So Duke it is for now!

JoffreyBaratheon Fri 17-Jul-15 10:35:49

I can definitely see GSD in there. SO he might be eminently trainable. Wonder who those floppy ears came from?

imabusybee Fri 17-Jul-15 10:36:23

Duke is one of our favourite names for dogs (although we're getting a girly next week so can't use it just yet) & I think it really suits him! Congrats on your new addition!

lougle Fri 17-Jul-15 10:43:23

He looks GSDX for sure. Trigger is a GSDx and is around 1 year old. I can see similarities in the muzzle, but the head is more rounded.

Hoppinggreen Fri 17-Jul-15 13:44:19

How is Triggar doing lougle?

Hoppinggreen Fri 17-Jul-15 13:44:42

Trigger rather.

MehsMum Fri 17-Jul-15 13:54:39

That fur is going to get longer as he gets bigger. Beyond that, I don't know - I think I can see GSD but I wouldn't swear to it.

Does the rescue have any idea how big his mum was? That might give some clue to his future height and build.

abearcalledpaddington Fri 17-Jul-15 14:02:29

Trigger is gorgous! and i love the name!

They dont know his mum, he was rescued from a kill centre with his 3 littermates.They were just left lying around somewhere sad

I thought gsd when i looked at him too.

Adarajames Fri 17-Jul-15 14:07:17

Some sort of shepherd for sure, possibly collie, totally cute and I think he should live with me! winkgrin

lougle Fri 17-Jul-15 16:03:43

He is lovely. Trigger is doing very well indeed. He's raw fed now and has filled out nicely. His recall has been hit and miss now that he's confident we're his, so we're off to a trainer with him in a fortnight's time. He's just marvellous reallygrin

UnGoogleable Fri 17-Jul-15 17:31:15

His white feet make me think there might be some hound in him too, like foxhound - would explain the ears.

hesterton Fri 17-Jul-15 17:33:53

What's a kill centre? Sounds horrible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now