Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Healthy dog chews

(3 Posts)
Younique Thu 16-Jul-15 19:22:04

Dog is a breed that is prone to dental problems but the vet says he has excellent teeth. This is because he has been chewing rawhide bones for many years. All of a sudden, he has become possessive of the bone and growling near it. This is new behaviour and worrying. I have since removed the bones and he doesn't seem to miss them. However, I want to make sure his teeth remain healthy and he seems to like chewing. He loves carrots, would frozen carotts be good? Vet recommended dentaflex but not daily.

Any tips would be great, thank you in advance.

LimeJellyHead Fri 17-Jul-15 10:54:51

I think playing with certain treat toys is more of a challenge than chews. A really tricky rubber one will help clean those teeth, inadvertently. Try something like www.dfordog.co.uk/treat-pods-interactive-dog-toy.html

A daily tooth clean with one of those Lintbells finger microfibre tooth brushes is quick and easy too. No toothpaste required smile www.lintbells.com/products/toothcleaner

Fearless91 Fri 17-Jul-15 18:03:49

I don't feed my dog rawhide - they're actually really bad!

Can I ask what you feed him? It's just if he's fed a raw diet there will be no need for dental chews or whatever.

Raw meaty bones do the best job - you can't beat them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now