Talk

Advanced search

In grass seed hell, any tips?

(10 Posts)
hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 15-Jul-15 17:12:41

Our poor boy has been battling a grass seed injury for over a week now. We thought we'd turned the corner then last night DS discovered a fresh swelling at the back of his pad so we headed back to the vet this morning where his foot was prodded and flushed out again.

He is now back to skulking behind the chair, with a sock covering his poorly paw and I am back to fretting again. He has more Metacam and antibiotics but I am beginning to wonder if we will ever see an end to this.

JugglingLife Wed 15-Jul-15 17:15:40

Our lab girl had lots of treatment, then surgery, we thought we'd got rid but it came back and the vet wanted to remove one of her toes. We refused that treatment (she's an old girl), soaked her foot religiously in salt water and it just went and hasn't come back since. Try the salt water.

villainousbroodmare Wed 15-Jul-15 19:27:38

Sorry to tell you that we sometimes see these grumbling on for months.
I usually don't continue with antibiotics once it becomes apparent that it's not a straightforward case as the pus forming helps to bust the thing out.

From a general management point of view it's not going to prevent every one, but it's worth checking between toes every evening if your dog is walking in meadows and parkland.

Eustace Wed 15-Jul-15 19:30:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

villainousbroodmare Wed 15-Jul-15 21:06:28

www.thekennelclub.org.uk/health/pet-health-information/grass-seeds/

OttiliaVonBCup Wed 15-Jul-15 21:09:29

Horrible things.

I keep checking the dogs but we had out share of the buggers.
Not just the pads, I've found lots of the them on the body as well.

LimeJellyHead Fri 17-Jul-15 10:59:27

I second the salt water bathing in boiled water that has cooled down. Salt water is so under rated. And if you mean he gets this happening a lot, how about some dog boots? I have a recommendation if you like but I wasn't sure if you meant any ideas for one grass seed or for him because he keeps getting them in his feet/pads smile

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 17-Jul-15 11:21:59

I am seriously considering boots for him so I would love a recommendation, living in the depths of the fens means that every single walk we attempt is riddled with foxtail grasses and he seems to be a magnet for them despite my best efforts to inspect him every 20 steps walk.

LimeJellyHead Sat 18-Jul-15 11:12:24

In that case, give these a try www.dfordog.co.uk/all-road-outdoor-dog-boots.html

I spent ages looking for a dog boot that is durable yet affordable. The price of these is excellent for x4 dog walking boots.

Good luck.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sun 19-Jul-15 04:09:22

Thank you. After several days of misery and another course of antibiotics I started him on a homeopathic remedy and he seems much better. I don't know if it was luck or coincidence but something worked. Will order him boots as we're not going through that again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now