Talk

Advanced search

Best food after bladder stones

(5 Posts)
Toastandstrawberryjam Tue 14-Jul-15 16:29:06

My cocker spaniel has finally got the all clear to go back onto normal food after her bladder stone removal. The vets have told me she can just go back on any food, but reading up on it it seems she needs low protein/phosphorus food and preferably tinned rather than dry.

I'm getting very confused with what would be best for her, she's always had mainly dry before. I'm desperate to get her back to 100% healthy and keep her that way.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 14-Jul-15 18:39:23

Have the bladder stones been sent for analysis. This will determine what is the most suitable food. Low phosphate is important if the stones were struvite, but can cause further stones if they were calcium oxalate.

Toastandstrawberryjam Tue 14-Jul-15 18:40:17

Yes sorry it was a struvite stone.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 14-Jul-15 19:05:58

Any food that maintains dilute urine whether by high water content or other means will be suitable.
There are several dry foods that would be suitable, but wet is probably a better long term option.

Toastandstrawberryjam Tue 14-Jul-15 19:09:13

But does it matter what wet food? I even thought briefly about raw but not sure I can do that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now