Talk

Advanced search

Blood test for dogs.

(10 Posts)
MarcoPoloCX Mon 13-Jul-15 11:09:36

I took one of my dogs for his annual booster and check up last week.
He also had a routine blood test.
The urea nitrogen level is above the normal range.
All other test came back ok.
Think it was BUN test, and the reading was 8.7mg/dL
He is raw fed.
Don’t think he is dehydrated as I add meat juice and water to his meals.
Does anyone know if raw fed dogs have different readings for some of the tests when compared with non raw fed dogs?

MarcoPoloCX Mon 13-Jul-15 11:13:54

He's a neutered two y/o dog. Raw fed since three months.

SunshineAndShadows Mon 13-Jul-15 11:16:31

No his readings should be the sane as ta a test of kidney function not dietary intake

Why were the bloods taken?
What did your vet say?

SunshineAndShadows Mon 13-Jul-15 11:20:34

Rare you sure about the units? That value is normal in mg/dl and only v slightly high/high normal for mmol/litre

MarcoPoloCX Mon 13-Jul-15 11:23:47

I requested it as a routine check. Vet said nothing major to be concerned with. All other tests for protein, sugars, hematocrit, electrolytes etc. came back fine. She said it may be due to dehydration and to make sure there's plenty of water which there always is. The creatinine level is fine and I believe this level is not affected much by hydration.

MarcoPoloCX Mon 13-Jul-15 11:38:32

She said only a bit outside the normal range which is up to 8. She said my dogs reading was at 9. I read somewhere that raw fed dogs may have different readings as the protein make up in raw vs kibble vs wet food differ.

MarcoPoloCX Mon 13-Jul-15 11:42:25

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/normal-blood-values-and-raw-fed-dogs/

DunelmDoris Mon 13-Jul-15 11:58:08

Was it a fasted sample?

MarcoPoloCX Mon 13-Jul-15 12:05:23

Yes. Fasted.

SunshineAndShadows Mon 13-Jul-15 13:11:20

I'd suspect it's just an individual variation. If your dog has fasted he's less likely to have drunk recently

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now