Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone take a guess at this dog's heritage?

(19 Posts)
Shizzy Wed 08-Jul-15 14:22:19

As in what breeds are in her? I'm hoping to adopt this little beauty and just wondered. The lady who has her now thinks she might be a whippet staff cross. Any thoughts?

Maryz Wed 08-Jul-15 14:37:49

I would have thought whippet or lurcher, crossed with some sort of staffie.

How old is she?

SirVixofVixHall Wed 08-Jul-15 14:41:54

Whippet or greyhound crossed with a terrier, maybe a staffie/Jack Russel mixture, or just a russel, as her head is a bit narrow for a Staff. Could be a bit of collie in there somewhere too.

IrianofWay Wed 08-Jul-15 14:46:03

Agree with adoption lady! She's very lovely.

Shizzy Wed 08-Jul-15 14:46:35

Thanks for your replies. The vet thinks she's about 8 months old. She's a real cutie. She's quite short and apparently won't grow much taller.

Floggingmolly Wed 08-Jul-15 14:47:24

Definitely a bit of staffie in there. She's bloody gorgeous!

moosemama Wed 08-Jul-15 18:39:27

I think the adoption lady is right, but as SirVix said, with Lurchers there could be a few other breeds thrown into the mix too, rather than it being a straight cross.

Whatever she is she's lovely. grin

ClaimedByMe Wed 08-Jul-15 18:45:06

Awe she is a cutie, would you get her DNA tested?

I think she is part staffie part whippet too.

EasyToEatTiger Wed 08-Jul-15 19:21:05

I wonder if a bit of Corgi snuck in? What a gorgeous girl she is!

OttiliaVonBCup Wed 08-Jul-15 19:22:24

Corgi somewhere down the line?

OttiliaVonBCup Wed 08-Jul-15 19:22:59

You can do a DNA test later.

hotandbothered24 Wed 08-Jul-15 19:23:10

Looks like some Jack Russell in there as well judging by the shape of her face, she is lovely

OttiliaVonBCup Wed 08-Jul-15 19:24:21

Or dachshund.

She would have been taller if there was some Lurcher in the mix.

lilacblossomtime Wed 08-Jul-15 19:25:53

She's cute, love her ears!

NoelHeadbands Wed 08-Jul-15 20:17:24

No idea but she's fab!

orangeyellowgreen Wed 08-Jul-15 20:43:40

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Shizzy Fri 10-Jul-15 14:57:26

Thanks everyone. Lots of suggestions here. She's here now! We all love her. Her temperament is wonderful. Fingers crossed, we'll get to keep her after this weekend and then I'll get her down the vets and look into DNA testing. I think she's lovely - I know she's not your typical cutesy pure breed but she's beautiful to me, orange.

moosemama Fri 10-Jul-15 16:07:35

'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ...' - now there's a phrase. How about 'If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all'?

One of ds1's teachers told him our younger Lurcher looks like a worm on legs - which is odd enough, but even moreso when you're aware that he's scruffy coated and beardy. confused Apparently she hates pointy hounds and they don't look like dogs to her - charming!

Shizzy Have fun with her this weekend and fingers crossed you get to keep her. Take any DNA tests with a pinch of salt. From the people I've known that have had them, several have been wildly out - until they sent a photo, when all of a sudden they managed to come up with something that seemed more appropriate. hmm

OnlyLovers Fri 10-Jul-15 16:10:28

Oh she's gorgeous!

I agree with the others really. I'm interested in the collie suggestions; what are you seeing to make you think that? Her expression reminds me of my childhood Border Collie –is that it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now