Talk

Advanced search

My dogs hate me!

(10 Posts)
StarsInTheNightSky Sun 05-Jul-15 10:21:32

This is lighthearted really. My dogs hate me. We brought ddog3 home yesterday and our other two are not impressed. Ddog1 has shredded an old tractor tyre in her fury and ddog2 has a face like a wet weekend. Our new dog is another death row rescue, much like our other two, she was about to be pts (in the country we live in kill shelters are common sadly). She's only eleven months old, we weren't actually planning to get another dog, but nobody else would take her as she killed the family dog in her last home when the other dog bit the families' toddler.

Actually in fairness to our other two dogs, they're being really good. We introduced them very carefully, and bar the initial rage and roaring (from our two, ddog3 backed down instantly which surprised me) things are going a lot better than I expected, certainly much better than when we rescued ddog2 and he met ddog1! They won't let her anywhere near DS, she's got the message on that loud and clear, but ddog2 has just licked her ear and the growling is reducing. Its still a long road ahead but all three of them are showing signs of being willing to live together. smile.

Ddog3 is a very affectionate girl, and is settling in well, she's very laid back.

Ahhh the madness of three giant breed dogs!

TRexingInAsda Sun 05-Jul-15 14:51:23

Oh - it's early days, I hope they settle in good time. Well done for rescuing them. x

nellieellie Sun 05-Jul-15 15:00:57

What breed are they Stars?

StarsInTheNightSky Sun 05-Jul-15 15:36:27

Thanks TRexing they're all getting on better and better, ddogs 1 and 2 seem to realize she's here to stay are are being pretty tolerant smile.

Nellie ddog1 and ddog2 are Caucasian Ovcharkas, ddog3 is a Fila Braseilio (they aren't banned in the country we live in).

Didly Sun 05-Jul-15 19:03:18

Wow, that's 3 humongous dogs! I thought having two large breeds was a handful!

What county do you live in? Caucasian ovcharkas are beautiful!

StarsInTheNightSky Sun 05-Jul-15 19:19:49

Didly sorry but I don't want to say as I don't want to out myself, we live in a country not usually top of peoples' list to emigrate to! We own a working ranch so we do need big dogs which can be family pets and guard dogs.

Thank you, they are amazing dogs, as soppy and teddy bear like with us as they are fearless and ferocious with threats, and absolutely brilliant with our toddler DS, they never barge him out of the way, or accidentally bump into him, they're very careful. DS wakes up each morning shouting "where my dog?" At which they fall over themselves to sit at his feet and have their ears rubbed, we've taught him to be very gentle and respectful with them. We're always careful not to leave them unsupervised, i'd never trust any animal 100% but they are about as good as it gets.
Ddog3, well, I've had Filas before and loved them, but I never thought I'd have a breed other than Caucasians again as I love them so much, but we just couldn't leave ddog3 (we've called her Cinnabar) to die sad. She is very sweet and gentle.

Didly Mon 06-Jul-15 18:06:40

Ooh I'm intrigued grin

I'm naturally a nosey parker so my guess is somewhere in South Amercia (am I even the right continent?)

Are you able to post a photo of your dogs, I'd love to see them.

nellieellie Thu 09-Jul-15 21:24:45

Ooh, I love Ovcharkas ! What is their temperament like? I've an Estrela, and love the flock guardian character.

StarsInTheNightSky Thu 09-Jul-15 22:09:38

Didly yep, right continent smile

nellieellie estrellas are gorgeous! Ovcharkas, they're amazing but they are not the easiest dogs to keep or train, we have flock guardian breeds before but Ovcharkas are very different. They are pig headed, they make huskys look easily trainable by comparison! They also hate strangers with a passion, strange dogs, strange people, anything really, if it doesn't live with them its a potential threat and to be treated with cool aloofness at best, and only then if you've trained them very strictly that they must tolerate a home you want in your house.
They hate being touched by anyone other than their family and they take protecting their family extremely seriously. All that said they are the sweetest, most calm and loving dogs I have ever met with DH, DS and I. They are so patient and loyal and would do absolutely anything to protect you. We have a toddler DS and they never barge him out of the way, accidentally knock him over, stand on his feet, nothing like that. They are extremely spatially aware. They spend hours carrying his toys around the house after him as he's commanded them to "hold and follow".
They are a bit Jekyll and Hyde with their protection, they can be happily laying by your side, but then sense a threat and transform instantly into a raging demon. Even when they're in demon mode they are still thinking, they don't get mindless rage, and even when they're in the middle of raging you can rub their ears and they'll spare a brief hand nuzzle for you. The second the threat is gone they're back to be sweet cuddle monsters again. They are absolutely amazing and they keep us safe. I can't rave about them enough. grin

StarsInTheNightSky Thu 09-Jul-15 22:17:54

Oh, and meant to say that no matter what the threat is, Ovcharkas will never back down. Ours have seen off numerous large predators and humans, they are absolutely fearless and really relish the opportunity to neutralise a threat. Even if its a weed which tripped me up hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now