Talk

Advanced search

Best shampoo for smelly dog - any recommendations?

(15 Posts)
FallingGoldfinch Sat 04-Jul-15 12:15:59

Live in a rural area so there are daily opportunities to roll in all matter of what-have-you (fox poo, dead rabbits, piles of manure, horse mess). Also near to the beach, so fish/dead seals/seagulls too for good measure.

Ddog just generally stinks. I haven't found anything yet that can cover the smell - would love something that I could use daily in summer that left a delightful aroma of freshness and lack of dead things. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

LeChien Sat 04-Jul-15 12:21:30

I've heard tomato juice/sauce can help neutralise nasty smells.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sat 04-Jul-15 12:25:16

Tomato sauce is great, I keep a spare bottle of some cheap stuff for neutralising nasty, stinky niffs then just use baby shampoo to wash it off.

It's fox-poo/rotten fish heaven round these parts too.

FallingGoldfinch Sat 04-Jul-15 12:31:40

Really? I've never heard that! Does the baby shampoo stop it staining them? (She's a weimaraner so things do show up.)

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sat 04-Jul-15 12:34:49

Mine's a border collie so she does have some white areas but I don't think I've ever known it to stain. I just use baby shampoo because I worry about it stinging her eyes soft mare that I am

AccordingToOurRecords Sat 04-Jul-15 12:41:13

Try Dirty Beastie by Wahl. Works a treat on wiffy hounds and smells pleasant too. Amazon do it ready mixed.

AccordingToOurRecords Sat 04-Jul-15 12:42:41

I have a weimeraner too, it sorts out his stinky bod no problem.

neverunderstandmen Sat 04-Jul-15 12:43:52

Try Animology - Fox Poo shampoo grin

LimeJellyHead Sat 04-Jul-15 12:45:01

Give this a try www.dfordog.co.uk/anti-smell-dog-shampoo.html It naturally cleans dirt, grime, urine and all pongs - even the stench of fox poo. And so you don't have to keep doing a full wash, the spray should keep smells at bay too, as well as being very good for your dog's coat www.dfordog.co.uk/anti-smell-dog-grooming-spray.html

smile

This brand is also cruelty free (no animal testing) so a big thumbs up on that too.

FallingGoldfinch Sat 04-Jul-15 12:45:31

Have ordered that now, thanks AccordingToOurRecords and am off to Lidl later for cheap ketchup (she'll probably put her back out trying to eat that before I can wash it off)!

CMOTDibbler Sat 04-Jul-15 12:49:06

I use a medicated shampoo from PAH for stinky dog. DDog2 found a particularly rancid fox poo this morning by the river, and is curled up next to me after a quick wash with it and he's fine.

basildonbond Sat 04-Jul-15 12:51:27

Can I just smugly say that ddog has never rolled in anything revolting grin

however before you all throw (unsavoury) things in my direction, he is a wallower instead ...

It's possible I may have just got used to the faint whiff of Eau de Pond which emanates from his fur wink

Battleshiphips Sat 04-Jul-15 12:57:30

My ddog loves smelly water! I use funky soap dog shampoo. I think it's neem oil. He looks, smells and feels amazing for a while after. He's only a little chap, JRT crossed with a collie. He looks like a JRT with collie style neck ruff and coat! He's like a dirt magnet but the shampoo bar does the job and is all natural.

AccordingToOurRecords Sat 04-Jul-15 13:15:33

I think Weimeraners come with their own, erm fragrance��. MrExpressiveDog certainly does. He spends a lot of time in the sea which can make his coat feel horrible and adds to the general whiff. He does pay a lot of attention to his personal hygiene though��.

FallingGoldfinch Sat 04-Jul-15 16:38:12

He's lovely though basildon - the know how to get away with it, don't they?

I can't find the funky dog one on Amazon Battleshiphips - do you have a link? I'll get a few and see what works best.

Yes, they are indeed a special type of whiffiness According - mine isn't too fussed with cleaning herself; to be honest, I'm always surprised she doesn't eat her own poo, given how much she likes everyone else's . . .

Wonder why I'm even thinking of getting another? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now