DH cut(badly) dogs fur. AIBU to be a bit miffed?

(7 Posts)
Matchpoint2 Fri 03-Jul-15 19:32:21

Came home from work today and DH has cut our golden retrievers fur to try and keep him cooler in this heat.
To be honest its badly cut, looks messy and he doesn't look as lovely as before.
Would you be a bit miffed or should I be thinking about the dog being cooler?

basildonbond Fri 03-Jul-15 20:12:42

I'd be extremely miffed especially as cutting double-coated dogs' fur can actually end up with them feeling hotter as they don't have so much insulation

SweetAndFullOfGrace Fri 03-Jul-15 20:18:46

Oh I'd be very miffed. As basil says, mostly because it won't work. You need a furminator or a coat king to de-fluff instead.

tinymeteor Fri 03-Jul-15 20:23:07

If your annoyance is mostly about how they look, YABU. If he's made the heat situation worse, HIBU. So possibly both of you are U at once on this one grin

TheHappinessTrap Fri 03-Jul-15 20:25:08

Get yer dog to a groomer tomorrow and let it be done with!

Lilcamper Sat 04-Jul-15 10:44:19

This is why you shouldn't clip a double coated dog.

pigsDOfly Sat 04-Jul-15 14:23:08

Thank you for that Lilcamper. I think I might print if off and stick it on my double coated dog's head to pre-empt all the 'ooh he must be hot under all that fur' comments.

When I tell people that her double coat is designed to keep her cool in the summer as well as warm in the winter they look at me sort of 'hmmm' because clearly I'm talking rubbish. Although I don't tend to take her out in the heat anyway.

Her coat's never been cut, except round her bum, and is in beautiful condition and has a lovely shape.

The bit about the coat getting thicker if you shave it is interesting. My DD has my dog's older sister and has had her dog trimmed regularly and always quite short. On a couple of occasion the groomer went overboard and shaved the coat really short.

Now my DD finds it almost impossible to brush her because the coat is so dense and the dog can't go long between trims because her coat is ridiculously thick and is basically out of control. Such a shame.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now