Talk

Advanced search

HELP!! Dog exposed to kennel cough half an hour ago

(7 Posts)
BrendaBlackhead Tue 30-Jun-15 10:24:16

This dog came romping up to my dog a short while ago in the park. Other dog was leaping all over my dog, mouthing etc.

Then owner ambles up and says he's very boisterous because he's been kept in for a few days with kennel cough.

AAARRRRGGGHH. Of course my dog has been vaccinated, but can I do anything right now? I have been dousing him with water. Should I wash his nose out? Would this do anything?!

Chattymummyhere Tue 30-Jun-15 11:23:31

You can wash/disinfect him however he will of breathed it in by now. I would guess the other dog was over it by now if it's being walked though.

BrendaBlackhead Tue 30-Jun-15 12:43:44

Thank you - I poured water all over him but I guess it was too late by the time I'd got home. Fingers crossed that the dog didn't infect mine.

triballeader Tue 30-Jun-15 14:09:10

In honesty you have already had him vaccinated to give him protection against Kennel Cough so hopefully he is still protected. [6-12 months depending on vaccine used] If the vaccine is close to needing to be renewed it might be worth chatting to your vet as a repeat dose of vaccine can help shorten and reduce the severity of the infection.

daisydotandgertie Thu 02-Jul-15 10:53:43

In a healthy adult dog, kennel cough isn't anything to panic about. Think of it like a human getting a cold. It's unpleasant but nothing worse than that. They'll cough and froth, but it will pass. It's mild and self limiting.

There are some commonly used remedies to soothe the symptoms.

The KC vaccine is very similar to the flu jab. It is effective against a proportion of kennel cough bacteria, but by no means all of them - maybe 60%. I have never vaccinated against it and will continue not to. It isn't effective enough for me, nor is the illness severe enough. I feel strongly about over vaccinating dogs.

Mrsjayy Thu 02-Jul-15 19:01:40

My last dog had it tbh its more irritating for them than makes them ill a few days she was ill

Mrsjayy Thu 02-Jul-15 19:04:22

The kennel we use now doesnt ask for the vaccine and our present dog has never had is where as last dog had the vaccine because the kennel we used then insisted and she got it anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now