Talk

Advanced search

Is it too soon to be thinking about another dog?

(19 Posts)
VandaDarkFlame Sun 28-Jun-15 11:02:18

My beloved German shepherd was put to sleep 3 weeks ago. She was 12 yo and her back legs gave in so I got the vet out the next day to put her to sleep.

I know I will get another dog one day, not to try and replace my lovely gsd, as she was irreplaceable, but as my next companion.

I have seen a Romanian rescue on Facebook who isn't travelling to the UK until August, so it would be 2 months since I lost ddog if I were to adopt him. Is this too soon? Has anybody re homed a rescue so soon after losing a beloved dog?

The rescue centres are based miles away and I'm not sure if they re home in my area so this could well not come off, I have been looking at local rescue centres but none of the dogs have pulled at my heart like this one has.

Any experiences or advice would be great

Greenkit Sun 28-Jun-15 12:41:27

First im really sorry to hear about your dog flowers

Getting another dog is a personal thing for you, you will know when the time is ready. We lost our beautiful whippet Tilly the week before Christmas, she had cancer and things got to much for her. We decided we didnt want another dog, we had one left.

Out walking Christmas eve, we bumped into a lady who had rescued a whippet, we had her, and she didnt half brighten up our house.

So do what is best for you

LimeJellyHead Sun 28-Jun-15 13:02:27

Sorry to hear of your loss flowers

We adopted Darcey 2 weeks after our Boycie passed away. Everyone is different and do what you feel is best for you. Don't worry about time scales. Some feel that is too soon and some feel the need to give a deserving dog a home as soon as they can afterwards. Go with your gut feeling and know that your darling girl would be pleased to see your love go to a deserving doggie.

VandaDarkFlame Sun 28-Jun-15 16:10:04

Thank you both for your replies. I am still sad about Heidi, and as I say I'm not looking to replace her. I've had dogs for all but 3 years of my life so it's a strange feeling coming home to an empty house.

I've filled in the pre adoption form, but somebody else is also interested in him so we'll just have to see what happens

lougle Sun 28-Jun-15 21:01:03

flowers

Not too soon, IMO. Here's my GSDX rescue from Ireland, lying next to my Mum and Dad's GSDX rescue from Spain smile

JointheJoyride Sun 28-Jun-15 21:45:57

Sorry about your loss, it's devastating isn't it. Hope you're coping ok.

IMO it's never too soon as long as you are 99% sure. The 1% is for the part of you that worries about loving a new dog smile

It took us five years to get another dog after we lost our last one to cancer. It hit me really hard and every time we came close again I'd convince myself that it was too soon and I'd not do the new dog any favours because I'd not love it enough.

BurningBridges Sun 28-Jun-15 23:04:30

I've had a bad experience adopting from Romania, but I am reluctant to discuss on here as there are on-going problems. By all means get another dog, but these Romis as they call them aren't always rewarding, they have been alone most of their lives so some don't need or acknowledge human company.

BTW - they have beautiful dogs in Romanian shelters, as indiscriminate street breeding is allowed you get the most gorgeous dogs - I think that's why they tug at the heartstrings so much, compared to the standard Staffie in Battersea sad

BurningBridges Sun 28-Jun-15 23:05:49

Vanda have you had a look at the Irish rescues? There's a flat coated retriever group Facebook they have amazing dogs too.

mistlethrush Sun 28-Jun-15 23:16:59

We discovered our last dog had bone cancer. DS was 7 at the time. We loved our dog so much - and never wanted to 'replace' her - she was irreplaceable. But we knew that we wanted another dog - sooner rather than later for DS's sake as much as anything. Having gone through the various 'breed' options and our lifestyle, we agreed that the best option for us was a lurcher. Before our last dog was PTS we had contacted 3 rescues, and were homechecked by a couple of them very soon after she died. We brought home our lurcher as a foster dog 2 weeks after our last dog was PTS, and adopted her 2 months later. She's definitely not a replacement - she's very different, but has her own place in our hearts now.

I am very glad I adopted a UK dog - too many of them are being PTS just because they are not 'perfect' for whatever reason. My lurcher wasn't 'perfect' - she was 2.5 yrs old (ish) and was an escape artist / runaway and wasn't housetrained. I'm so lucky that the rescue I got her from was keeping her safe until a home could be found for her.

What sort of dog are you looking for? Do you want an alsatian or alsatian cross or something else? What breed / mixture would suit where you are with your life now?

kathryng90 Mon 29-Jun-15 09:12:23

I had my 17 year old dog put to sleep in April 13. I adopted from Romania in July 13. I checked out local shelters first but 'my dog' wasn't there. We were 100% decided on rescue dog but from where didn't matter. My Romanian rescue was 6 months old when he arrived and I have had no problems with him. He is a beautiful natured dog whose looks don't appeal to everyone. A bit like me.

EdwinaLIzzard Mon 29-Jun-15 09:56:48

Sorry to hear of your loss Vanda flowers

I think its a very personal decision both about the timing and where you rescue a dog from. There are so many lovely dogs who need homes, whether it be here or abroad and I just think that there is one very lucky dog sitting in a rescue somewhere that will soon be sharing your life.

honeyroar Mon 29-Jun-15 10:29:23

I think it's enough time. You're not replacing your beloved old dog, they will forever be in your heart and memory, you're just getting a new one.

I have a Romanian rescue coming in August too. I've heard a couple of bad stories, but I know the lady a bit that runs the rescue, and she had two of her own from there and plenty of happy stories too. I'm not expecting it tone a walk in the park, I'd like to think I've got my eyes open. One of our UK rescue dogs was challenging initially, but is lovely now.

BlueKarou Mon 29-Jun-15 10:58:16

I think there were about 4 weeks between losing my much loved first dog (although aren't they all 'much loved'?!) and my second dog arriving. He was a Romanian rescue, and is now, 2 years later, very much settled and happy. So much so, I'm picking up another rescue dog, a UK one this time, in a fortnight. I'm about to become a two-dog household!

But yes, my first dog was diagnosed with something which I knew from the start would be fatal and wouldn't give us much time. I was grieving for her before she was actually PTS, and whilst giving her the best care I could, I was also looking for the next dog. I know that's way too soon for some people, but I live on my own, and having a dog-free house would be too much for me. Getting a foreign dog meant there would be no risk of it arriving whilst she was poorly; so she got to live out her last weeks in comfort, and I had the distant awareness that I wouldn't be on my own for too long once she had gone.

DeliberatelyDreaming Wed 01-Jul-15 00:00:43

I lost my adorable Westie last August. I had two other dogs as well and now I am this far on, while I still miss her and have her ashes in a special cabinet close to me, I am so pleased I had the other two. I can't imagine not having a furry friend. I am an empty nest widow, so my dogs are my life. I genuinely think that if you feel ready for a new friend then go for it. You are not being disloyal to Heidi and I can't help but feel that as she looks down at you from rainbow bridge, she would want you to give another fluffy baby the same lovely life she had. flowers

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 01-Jul-15 00:17:47

We lost our Lab one year ago today and by the end of that July we had adopted our Border Collie puppy. Four weeks ago we adopted an Irish rescue spaniel who is completely and utterly barking mad as two dogs seemed like such a good idea grin. Neither of them are Lab replacements but they are their own delightful spirits and I wouldn't be without them for all the tea in China. If you feel ready then go for it, it will be a wonderful testament to Heidi's memory.

VandaDarkFlame Wed 01-Jul-15 00:20:45

Thank you all for your messages, they have certainly helped me feel better about getting another dog!

Shortly after I emailed the pre adoption form I found out this particular little dog had already been reserved, so he mustn't have been meant for me. I saw another on my local kennels website earlier today but when I looked again that one was gone too!

I think I want a smallish dog, one that I can pick up if needs be, certainly one that I can get in my bath! While I love big, chunky dogs, I think I need to be sensible and go for a smaller breed, especially as I'm only 5ft myself

DeliberatelyDreaming Wed 01-Jul-15 00:37:55

Vanda there are rescues all over the place who would be delighted to help you find a new friend. If you decide on a specific breed, type that breed rescue into Google and there will be something for you I'm sure. I have two wee ones, one is very tiny a x chihuahua and the other a Yorkie. Living alone is made so much easier having my boys, they are the light of my life. flowers

honeyroar Wed 01-Jul-15 15:46:55

Vanda we missed out on a couple initially too when we got our second rescue dog. But we registered with the rescue and they had a chat with us about our lifestyle and home, and other pets etc, then they contacted us when they got Rory in and thought he would suit us. He did and still does.

SecretNutellaFix Wed 01-Jul-15 19:24:27

I think the fact that you are thinking about it means it's not too soon. Your old girl will always have a special place, a different dog will make their own place with you.

After my old girl died we didn't get another as none of us were in a position to have one, but if you are and it feels right, go for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now