So worried.....

(18 Posts)
Theonewiththreechildren Fri 26-Jun-15 14:03:37

My gorgeous little cocker spaniel pup is in the vets sad I've only had her two weeks but I am already so in love with her and I'm so worried. Yesterday she managed to get hold of a sock when I was sorting some clothes, I took it away as soon as I realised but it was pretty chewed. This morning I noticed what looked like some of it in her poo and she didn't want to eat or drink.

Long story short, the vet thinks there may be a bit more stuck so they are keeping her in to try and help her pass it. I'm so worried that they'll have to operate which can cause it's own problems in such a small pup.

Can anyone reassure me that she's going to be ok? Anything similar happened to anyone else?

I feel so guilty that I haven't taken care of her properly. I did so much reading and researching before I got her to help me take care of her properly and I've failed already sad

AddictedtoGreys Fri 26-Jun-15 14:22:21

don't feel guilty, these things happen. pups get into everything. you sound like a very caring owner and I'm sure that you will make sure that everything is out of her reach from now on. I worked in a Vets for a long time and saw plenty of foreign bodies, from rolled up socks, tights, toys, etc. 9/10 the dog was fine after recovery, as you have taken her to the vet straight away the chances are definitely good. if they were really concerned they would have operated on her straight away and not waited to see if she passes it. fingers crossed. I hope she's OK thanks

Theonewiththreechildren Fri 26-Jun-15 14:36:12

Thank you so much for your reply. That's really reassuring. I so hope she passes it and can come home today. I really miss her - feels like she's always been part of our family rather than just for two weeks.

nellieellie Fri 26-Jun-15 16:36:38

My dog as a pup ate an entire tube of dog pate, including the sharp metal container. The vets gave him something that helps stuff pass through the gut, and x rayed. He vomited some up in the night, and passed the rest. I took it in to the vet in a bag, was so pleased! I was sure I'd killed him and cried for hours, but he was fine. All the best for your little one. Am sure he will be OK

Theonewiththreechildren Sat 27-Jun-15 06:32:27

Thanks for the replies. Happy to report that pup is fine! The sock made a reappearance and she's home and back to her normal crazy self grin

EdwinaLIzzard Sat 27-Jun-15 08:49:24

What a relief - for you and little pup

Cockers are so naughty and into everything, and yes it is amazing what they can eat and then simply pass straight through them - most of the items coming out almost whole!!!

EasyToEatTiger Sat 27-Jun-15 12:20:39

So glad your dog is ok. Now, wash the sock, darn it, and off you go!grin Our pup eats all sorts of disgusting things. The hot fave at the moment is chicken food and coloured plastic. Yum.

LeChien Sat 27-Jun-15 12:27:45

Glad she's ok.
My springer x cocker swallowed a fruit shoot lid and had to have a big operation on New Year's Day.
He now regularly eats his blanket (having already eaten an indestructible dog bed) and poos bits out!

Theonewiththreechildren Sat 27-Jun-15 18:44:08

Glad to hear I'm not the only one whose dog has an interesting diet grin
Easy I think I'll give that one a miss this time as I've already thrown all the bits away - I'll bear it in mind should it happen again though wink although I really hope it doesn't - I can't deal with the stress!

RaspberrySnowCone Sat 27-Jun-15 21:46:46

My boy had a long list of things that he'd eaten and shouldn't have when he was tiny, great big hair bobbles, a whole big cooked chicken wing, a full fat ball in the net that fell off the bird tree, a bracelet, tin foil etc etc. He ate the box of a box of blank cds once and it came out the other end undigested, I could still read the text on the box when it emerged the other side. They're very resilient, be prepared to see lots more emerge. Bits of toys, teddy stuffing.....

Theonewiththreechildren Sat 27-Jun-15 23:07:43

All these things I didn't know I had to look forward too when I decided to get a dog grin

LeChien Sat 27-Jun-15 23:18:33

Mine managed to jump up on the work top and eat a whole chocolate cake, a very rich one made with dark chocolate.
We took him to the vets who gave him soda crystals until he threw it all up.
When we thought he couldn't possibly be sick any more, up came a whole red crayon and Peppa Pig's jacket!

SistersofPercy Sat 27-Jun-15 23:35:11

Murph still has a fondness for my ear plugs now. I thought I was losing them at first until I picked up a poo with a florescent lump in it.
I have to remember to close the box by my bed now otherwise it's game on with the little sod.

minesapintofwine Sat 27-Jun-15 23:44:26

These are grin (glad ddog is ok op).

To add, when my border collie was a puppy she ate a tennis ball, and threw it all back up.

Last year, aged 9, she pooed out bits of wire confused.

Frolicacid Sat 27-Jun-15 23:51:33

I'm vet glad she's ok. Try not to worry flowers. These things happen, no matter how much you try to avoid them. the list of trouble my cockers have got themselves into over the years is endless. One even managed to get at her own womb after being spayed. She had a huge operation and was back to her crazy self in a few days. It sounds like your will be back to her troublesome self in no time.

minesapintofwine Sun 28-Jun-15 00:06:13

frolic your cocker getting at her womb makes me feel a bit faint!!

I

Frolicacid Sun 28-Jun-15 08:29:45

Mee too mine! She was still her happy, bouncy self. Ball in mouth, wagging her whole body, bits of inside poking out of the scar!! I nearly passed out!

minesapintofwine Tue 30-Jun-15 14:46:07

shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now