Talk

Advanced search

Arggh what is wrong with my 9-month old puppy

(6 Posts)
jessicapearson Thu 25-Jun-15 11:47:58

She is a Parson Russell Terrier, has just been spayed, had her one and only heat at 6 months.

Her stitches came out on Tuesday and since then her behaviour in the house has reverted to being like a 10-week old puppy - chewing rugs, getting books from the shelves, more barking than usual, running like a loon around the house. Not napping - I can see she is tired but is not giving in and looks for more naughty things to do. Will she calm down again? - previously she just mooched around and could be reliably left in the living room whilst I went upstairs and was a perfect dog.

Any words of wisdom please?

LadyFuckrington Thu 25-Jun-15 11:52:30

You need a crate. We have a five month old puppy(jrt cross) who gets overstimulated easily, she either goes to her crate herself or is happy to be put in there. She sleeps in it at night and stays in it when I go out.

jessicapearson Thu 25-Jun-15 11:57:39

Thanks for the reply. She has a crate which I use when I go out and at night. Putting her in it for her behaviour feels like it's a punishment and everything I read said you shouldn't do that. Maybe I should be firmer....

tinymeteor Thu 25-Jun-15 11:59:16

Sounds like classic adolescence to me. Spaying helps but they still go through it. Double down on the training, be patient and consistent and she will come good.

jessicapearson Thu 25-Jun-15 16:27:20

Thanks, I wondered about adolescence. I already have 2 human adolescents in the house now a fluffy one too! Will try to be calm and consistent whilst all boundaries are being pushedwink

villainousbroodmare Thu 25-Jun-15 21:09:43

Adolescence. She'll come right. Catch her being good as often as you can! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now