Talk

Advanced search

Is there anything else I could be doing?

(4 Posts)
zombiemeow Thu 25-Jun-15 08:43:10

Sorry it's long but I think the background is probably relevant?

I had 3 dogs, one was a rescue French bulldog.

She was treated horribly, she was brought for breeding, locked in a crate 24/7 outside and left there to eat/sleep in her own poo and weehmm until she would be old enough for breeding. She developed v bad mange and ulcers in her eyes and pneumonia, bronchitis, heamatomas in her ears and has stunted growth.

Shortly before she was 1, the owner took her to the vets, her skin was just scabs and sores with no hair. He left her there for 5 weeks before calling to say he doesn't want her anymore and they should put her to sleep. I saw her and fell in love with her and was there when that conversation happened. I said I would take her, his reply to the vet telling him this was 'do what you want, let her have her. I don't care, I want nothing more to do with her'

Due to her ill health she had to spend a few more weeks at the vets before coming home with me.

She has very poor eye sight and poor hearing so would use the other two as sort of guide dogs. She loved them and they loved her.

She was constantly going to the toilet inside as she never knew anything else and it took me around a year to get her to go outside.

A few weeks ago one of my other dogs very unexpectedly passed away in the night sad she had a hard time and didn't want to leave the body.

Since then she has been worse than ever with weeing in the house. I have been taking her out as often as possible, I have even left the back door wide open for her but she will still wee in the house.

Any ideas of anything else I can do to help her?

Lilcamper Thu 25-Jun-15 09:49:55

Poor thing, i would take her to the vet to rule out anything like a UTI then take her back to basics with house training. You might also want to try Adaptil and/or rescue remedy or skullcap and valerian.

zombiemeow Thu 25-Jun-15 10:41:33

Thanks lil, I took her to the vet and they couldn't see any reason for it, she has allergies this time of year so is on meds for that too, they said because of her allergies she could be drinking more which would make her need the toilet more often which is all they could think of. What is adaptil?

I read online that it can be a sign of depression sad

Lilcamper Thu 25-Jun-15 10:47:54

Adaptil is a synthetic replica of the calming pheromones that a mother dog has to calm her pups.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now