Talk

Advanced search

Local rescue bitching on FB about owners returning a dog. Not sure how I feel about it.

(10 Posts)
LeChien Sat 20-Jun-15 23:08:27

Someone rescued a dog 4 years ago and have brought it back because of life changes.
The rescue have put on a really bitchy comment and have have loads of loyal followers calling for them to name and shame the vile scum that would return a dog.

On the one hand, yes, no-one should have a dog that they can't commit to, but on the other, you have no idea what life may throw at you, the family might not be heartlessly dumping a dog, but having heartbreaking decisions to make and this seemed like the only option.
At least the dog was returned to the rescue it came from, where presumably they would still be interested in its welfare, and not dumped like so many other dogs are.
I really can't work out how I'm feeling about this, but in a way I feel that I've lost some respect for them.
I haven't posted on it because I don't fancy taking on dozens of scary posters baying for blood, but I wondered if it would be worth emailing the rescue (who I have supported regularly in the past) and let them know that posting like this makes them look unsupportive. Or does it make them look good because they have the dog first and foremost above anything else?
Aargh. Don't know.

I think it makes the rescue look really unsupportive and bitchy.

LeChien Sat 20-Jun-15 23:13:39

They haven't given any details about why the dog was returned, but I find it weird that everyone is comfortable calling the owners vile scum and disgusting when they haven't a clue what made the family return the dog.
Some people are able to stick with a family pet through changes of circumstances, but others really aren't, understandably in some cases.

kilmuir Sat 20-Jun-15 23:16:17

Does not portray the rescue in the best light.

lucyjordon Sat 20-Jun-15 23:19:37

Yanbu. I have a dug rescue woman on Facebook, done on quite a small scale as she has an interest in and trains a specific type of dog, but what I love about her is that she Absoluteky does not engage in any criticism of the previous owners

tabulahrasa Sat 20-Jun-15 23:24:48

It makes them look bad, the ex owner may well have a shoddy reason for returning the dog, but, that should be a private opinion...at best it makes them seem unprofessional at worst it may prevent other owners needing to rehome their dog from returning them and doing it privately instead.

youbethemummylion Sat 20-Jun-15 23:29:13

Some small dog rescues are actually fronts for puppy farms or people that gather all the free to good home dogs then make a profit by charging an 'adoption fee' this type of behaviour would make me suspicious this rescue wasn't quite what it seems. All the animals we have got from shelters that have always said if anything were to happen and we couldn't look after them to please take them back to them rather than give away on Gumtree etc.

Scuttlebutter Sat 20-Jun-15 23:31:38

Because of my involvement with rescue, I sadly see similar posts from time to time. They are utterly wrong on so many levels. Firstly, I've seen at first hand the immense struggle and emotional cost to an owner who reluctantly surrendered their dogs because of very serious health issues. It was heart breaking and I have nothing but respect for that person as they were motivated by concern for the welfare of the dog , which should be everyone's priority at a time like that.

Secondly, if someone really wants to rehome their dog, doing so via a rescue rather than Gumtree or similar (or even worse options) they should be praised for doing the right thing.

Thirdly, rescues should never be so unprofessional as to even hint in public at the issues concerned - there are serious data protection and privacy issues, and rehoming is often associated with other traumas such as bereavement, serious illness or marriage breakdown.

Fourthly, rescues should be encouraging a climate whereby owners can feel they can ask for help if they are struggling - whether that's help managing a behavioural issue or simply needing some short term fostering to get them over a family emergency. In this way, they can help adoptions remain long term, and avoid being seen as nasty, small minded judgemental cockwombles.

Of course I have private views on what I see, but they are that - private views and I have no right to utter self righteous lectures that just blow smoke up other people's arses.

UterusUterusGhali Sat 20-Jun-15 23:31:39

Surely returning it is better that giving it away on gumtree or chucking it in the canal!

When I got my dog from the Blue Cross I had to sign a contract saying if I ever couldn't keep her it would go back to them.

Stuff does happen; I can think of lots of reasons beyond the owners control that would mean they can no longer keep a dog.

Local rescues (I follow a couple on Arsebook) can be kinda odd I've found. Not all! Just some.

LeChien Sun 21-Jun-15 00:04:24

They don't appear to be a front for puppy farming, they have all sorts of different breeds at different ages.
I know someone who was heavily criticised by fans of the rescue on the same page for re homing her dog when she had her first baby, but no-one was interested in hearing why, just heard "new baby, dog no longer welcome". In her case the dog became a nervous wreck around the baby, growled at it every time it made a noise. They found a behaviourist who worked with them, but all came to the conclusion that the dog was miserable and it would be better to go to a quiet home with no children. The posts made her feel dreadful (although to be fair it was deleted after a few hours).

I've unfollowed the page. I won't say anything because I'm sure I'll end up looking like a tosser!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now