Talk

Advanced search

Huskies and cats

(19 Posts)
EllieEm Fri 19-Jun-15 18:34:29

Does anyone have any experiences good or bad? DH would love a husky but we have a cat and I've read that they have a very high prey instinct and I'm worried that it would chase/kill the cat. Are they ok/safe if they're raised with a cat from a puppy or is there always going to be a worry that the instinct to kill small furry things that run wI'll kick in?

RepeatAdNauseum Fri 19-Jun-15 18:38:29

I wouldn't.

I trained a husky as a special request guide dog. He was wonderful - very tame, completely reliable, he could answer the phone and open the washing machine. He still ripped the head off a squirrel in a moment of madness, though, and he only just edged it through assessment because that pray drive is always there.

You might be fine, but then you might come down to your poor cat having been identified as prey, or your cat may move out to avoid the dog.

Shenanagins Fri 19-Jun-15 18:39:01

OH response (has a lot of husky experience) was bye bye cat. So I tak it from that it's not a good idea.

deepdarkwood Fri 19-Jun-15 18:40:54

We had huskies as a child. They are gorgeous but incredibly hard work, and I personally wouldn't trust them around small furries of any type. Ours had an attempt at a family friends pet when he escaped once, and in general they aren't the easiest animals to handle. That said, we had guineas and rabbits that survived - but these were always in hutches/firmly in our arms. Rather different to a free running cat!

Have you had much doggie experience? The walk and training demands are pretty hard core, IMO.

TooOldForGlitter Fri 19-Jun-15 19:44:06

My cousin has a rescue husky. It ccannot be around cats at all. More prey drive than my greyhound. I really wouldn't think it'd be a sensible idea tbh.

Does your husband realise what a commitment a husky is? The exercise, the grooming, the training a smart wilful strong animal. they aren't to be taken lightly. Which is why so many are in rescue.

TooOldForGlitter Fri 19-Jun-15 19:45:28

Sorry, read my post back and it sounds snarky. That wasn't the intent.

toboldlygo Fri 19-Jun-15 19:53:38

One of mine who is otherwise trained to a high standard (successfully competes in agility, sled dog racing, obedience trials etc) was raised with a cat in her first home - this didn't stop her from very sadly killing a family cat that she'd previously been tolerant of. They are not to be trusted with anything that moves!

Hoppinggreen Fri 19-Jun-15 20:52:33

I have a friend with Huskies, she got one as a new puppy when the older he was about 5. It nearly killed the puppy.
They are beautiful dogs but not ideal as family pets for most people and certainly not to be trusted around anything smaller than them.

EllieEm Fri 19-Jun-15 21:01:30

Thank you for all the replies. That pretty much confirms everything I've read sad re commitment and grooming etc DH is very outdoorsy and goes for lots of walks/runs/hikes etc so I think he would fit quite well that way but the cat risk makes it a big no. I don't want to risk my girl!

TooOldForGlitter Sat 20-Jun-15 00:24:16

Maybe suggest a lurcher to your husband? If you take some time you could find the perfect mix. Energetic exercise loving dog for your husband but equally happy to slob around sleeping and relaxing. Couldn't get a finer mix!

TooOldForGlitter Sat 20-Jun-15 00:31:56

And honestly, I wouldn't do sad face if I was you. Huskies are REALLY hard work. You need to be either wealthy (for huge outdoor space and bought-in help) or very very experienced.

TooOldForGlitter Sat 20-Jun-15 00:35:56

You deffo want a lurcher. Many are cat friendly but good exercise companions. Look at EGLR. You'll find your dog there. Guaranteed grin

EllieEm Sat 20-Jun-15 08:03:04

I love lurchers but DH doesn't. We've been looking at a few different breeds. I'll let you know what we decide. Thank you!

QuietTiger Sat 20-Jun-15 10:14:32

If your DH is "outdoorsy" and likes running etc, could I suggest a collie? Ours live happily with 11 cats (the cats are very much the boss) and if you are switched on and spend time training and working with it, you'll have a wonderful, easy and obedient companion.

Admittedly I am totally bias as we have 4 collies and I work with collie rescue, but in reality, if you're matched to the right one and can give them what they need, they are awesome amazing dogs who make fantastic family friends.

QuietTiger Sat 20-Jun-15 10:16:08

And anyway, how could you refuse a puppy face like this? grin

EllieEm Sat 20-Jun-15 12:14:31

So cute! Collies are actually on our short list. Friends of ours have a couple and they are lovely.

queenruth Sat 20-Jun-15 12:20:18

My uncle had a husky. Lovely dog she was. Didn't stop her leaping over the 6ft garden fence and polishing off next door's guinea pigs who had been having a lovely time munching on the grass in their garden run one beautiful summer's day.

TuttiFrutti Mon 22-Jun-15 21:20:13

Don't do it. A friend has a husky and a cat. They get on ok now (sort of) but in the first few months the husky bit off the cat's tail.

Greyhorses Tue 23-Jun-15 20:53:07

I honestly would never consider a husky and I work with dogs and have seen and worked with pretty much every breed.

Go for a german shepherd, some can look quite wolf like but they are amazing dogs grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now